Campus Recreation adds programs

With a variety of new intramural sports and activities, St. Edward’s University is trying to get everyone in the game.

Beginning this fall, Campus Recreation has launched a large-scale effort to create an environment for students to be active and involved, all while learning lessons of wellness.

“St. Edward’s is a family, and one of the major purposes of my program is to play on that idea,” said Andrew Lemons, coordinator of Campus Recreation.

This past year, Lemons has been working hard to organize new events for students.

“The message we are trying to send out to our students is that they can be active and engaged with fellow students on campus and learn to be healthy in their mind, heart and spirit,” Lemons said.

For the first time, Campus Recreation is offering group fitness classes, such as boot camp, zumba, and yoga, two to three times a week. Lemons hired instructors for these classes who will expose students to new ways of achieving a healthier lifestyle.

The yoga class offered is designed for yoga students of all levels. The class is meant to enhance cardiovascular health, reduce stress and soothe the nervous system.

“You see others having fun around you, and it encourages you to get out of your comfort zone,” junior Kadence Hampton said.

Zumba, a dance-fitness class inspired by Latin music and dance moves, is now being offered for free in the Alumni Gym three times a week.

“It is a workout, but it’s really fun at the same time,” explained freshman Selena Alvarez. “You get to dance with your own style and really get into the music.”

Lemons hopes that these new classes will allow students to explore activities that they can incorporate into their lives even after they leave St. Edward’s.

In addition to fitness classes, Campus Recreation will be hosting new intramural sports, including rock- paper-scissors, fantasy football, golf, and NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 video games. These new intramurals join current activities such as flag football, dodgeball and basketball.   

“The idea is to grow as big as we can,” said Lemons. “We grow exponentially by hosting what works best with our students.”

The new recreation field, located outside of Teresa Hall, has already sparked interest in the St. Edward’s community. So far this semester, the field has been home to events such as Rec ‘n Wild, a kick-off event with games and activities like a slip-and-slide. Students also use the field to play casual games of Frisbee, and soccer matches are played among friends most evenings.

The new field is meant to give students a specific place for recreation. In the past, recreational areas like the gym and the soccer field have mostly been reserved for student-athletes.

Lemons believes that the increase in programs being presented will offer students leadership opportunities.

In turn, Lemons said he hopes students will offer him suggestions for even more games and activities that can be added to the existing programs.

“If we don’t have it, it’s because Campus Recreation does not know the student body wants it,” said Lemons. “All students need to do is stop by my office and tell me what they want to do.”

The full intramural calendar, which includes a list of all registration dates and fees, can be found on the St. Edward’s Campus Recreation Facebook page.