Letters to the editor in response to the Equality Texas situation

Dear Hilltop Views,

I have been following the story about St. Edward’s and Equality Texas ever since Lindsay Marsh, one of my former students, sent me a copy of her blog.  What follows are completely my own thoughts.  Before that, however, I want to set the context for my comments.

First, St. Edward’s has every right to decide which organizations with which to associate, especially when this touches upon the Catholic character of the university.  I may or may not agree with specific decisions university officials may make, but I acknowledge their right to do so.

Second, it is my understanding that the decision concerning Equality Texas affects only participation in the non-profit fair.  I do not believe it necessarily affects internships within majors.  I am not saying that no parameters should be applied to internships in majors, but that this particular decision seems to affect only this particular event.

Finally, as a matter of full disclosure, I should also say that I was the founding advisor for the GLSA (later GLBTSA, now PRIDE), and so have a particular interest in this issue.  When the organization began, I received positive response from the president, academic dean and dean of Humanities.  I presume the university’s commitment continues.

As to your article itself, the only person quoted is Mischelle Diaz, the Director of Communications.  Ms Diaz does a good job, but, like the White House Press Secretary, does not make the decisions or generate the reasons behind those decisions.

1.  Which brings up my first question:  who made this decision?  Who has the authority to speak for St. Edward’s University?  When I am interviewed in the media regarding some religious topic or another, I am not the spokesperson for SEU:  This is the St. Edward’s official position on Mormons in America.  Was it truly a decision “of SEU,” or of someone who holds a particular position, and does this person have the authority to speak for SEU?

2. The email from Lou Serna does not state what on the Equality Texas website is in conflict with which Catholic principles.  This would seem to be important to state, for Equality Texas to know, and for you to ask.

3.  In a related question, the U.S. Bishops have issued documents regarding cooperating with organizations not in 100% agreement with Catholic teachings.  What are the parameters?  How do they apply here?

4. The statement that Equality Texas is a for-profit organization is an example of an ex post facto (after the fact) reason:  now that we’ve made this decision, let’s come up with reasons.  Aside from whether it  is factual or not, this is not stated in the email, and is not the reason for the decision.

5.  And finally, is St. Edward’s selective about playing the Catholic card?  I have been here 25 years, and SEU has had many programs that are very much in line with Catholic principles.  However, those principles are often “behind the scenes,” and not explicitly stated. More recently, the official line of the university has been more explicit about this.  However, are we selective about when and where we claim this character?

We have both Democratic and Republican student associations, and students intern with politicians of both parties, both of whose national platforms hold positions contrary to Catholic teachings.   We accept credit for ROTC classes at UT, without any discussion of how this might fit into Catholic teaching on peace and the Just War criteria.  I am not saying that we should eliminate these organizations or programs, but simply saying that no one seems to be asking the Catholic question.

If Hilltop Views were going to do a follow up to the article, I might want to ask these questions.

Edward L. Shirley, Ph.D.

Professor of Religious and Theological Studies

[email protected]

Dear Hilltopviews,

In its rejection of Equality Texas as a participant in an upcoming fair at St. Edward’s, the university administration seems to be under the impression that Equality Texas is at odds with the Catholic Church on gay/lesbian/transgender issues, but what the administration is unfortunately doing is equating Catholic bishops with the Catholic Church.

The bishops are not the Church.  From time to time, bishops give opinions on matters that they may expect the Church as a whole to respect and follow blindly, but the Church as a whole has an obligation to endorse truth, and truth is sometimes elusive to bishops who are, after all, human like the rest of the Church.  In the nineteenth century, for example, some Catholic bishops, following New Testament opinion, endorsed slavery.  It took a Civil War to prove them wrong.

What will it take to prove that Catholic bishops are wrong in their opinions regarding some gay/lesbian/transgender issues?  Whatever it takes, St. Edward’s University should be in the business of academic freedom on controversial issues, not in the business of blind adherence to prelatical opinions.

And what is higher than prelatical decrees?  Answer:  the human conscience.  As our present Pope Benedict wrote so beautifully in 1967:  “Over the pope as expression of the binding claim of ecclesiastical authority, there stands one’s own conscience, which must be obeyed before all else, even if necessary against the requirement of ecclesiastical authority.”

Already in America five states and the District of Columbia have voted their conscience against the Catholic bishops’ stand on same-sex marriage.   It seems that our bishops need to upgrade their understanding of human sexuality because it appears that they are working on modern moral situations with a 1950’s appreciation of human sexuality.  They continue to deny the validity of findings on homosexuality by the American Psychological Association, preferring instead to retain antique theories about human sexuality.

St. Edward’s University administration should not make the mistake of presuming that Equality Texas violates our mission statement.

Brother George Klawitter, CSC

Department of English Literature

[email protected]

Dear Editor,

I am disappointed administrators at St. Edward’s University did not allow Equality Texas to recruit on campus during the volunteer fair. But I am not surprised with the  university’s reasoning.  Equality Texas supports same-sex marriage and that goes against Catholic teaching. I do not agree with that teaching, nor do many Straight and Gay Catholics.

By refusing to allow Equality Texas to recruit volunteers on campus, the University denied a resource to members of its own community.

St. Edward’s has a strong, vibrant gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community. It may be a secret to some but to others the campus is a safe haven to come to terms with one’s own identity. Just ask all the students who came out at St. Ed’s without fear of harassment, discrimination, or alienation.

If Equality Texas was allowed to recruit on campus, those who did not agree with the mission could have chosen not to volunteer with the organization.

If the University denied Equality Texas’ request to keep attention way from the gay issue, that plan back fired.

This is not the first time the University has shied away from publicly highlighting Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender issues. In 2002, the University asked a student leader not to include his membership in the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Straight,  Alliance (GLBTSA) in a profile promoting the university. Initially, the student agreed

to the request but changed his mind and asked to remove his entire profile. The incident made front page news on the Hilltop Views. That’s when our straight allies took action. The Student Government Association passed a resolution requesting an apology and meeting. The student body held a forum and community meeting. The administration never formally apologized. But the whole world found out our small Catholic university in Austin had a GLBTSA registered with the school.

I hope the students continue the struggle for justice for all of God’s children–no matter who they love. We were born this way. And Our Lord does not make mistakes.

Sincerely,

Brandon A. Benavides, ‘03