Community service thrives

Senior Stacey Copeland.

Senior Stacey Copeland.

With games every week, practices almost every day and a full-time course load, St. Edward’s University athletes already have a packed schedule. For the past year, athletes have added to their duties by serving in over 15 different organizations and groups in the Austin community. 

Senior Stacey Copeland, a former St. Edward’s soccer player, has played a huge part in leading the athletes to community service. A transfer student from England, Copeland came to St. Edward’s after working as a full-time youth and community worker.

While Copeland said that she enjoyed playing soccer and going to school at St. Edward’s, she said that she felt as if something was missing. Her desire to serve others led to the establishment of Toppers in the Community.

In spring 2009, Copeland set up three different projects for athletes to participate in. This year, she wanted to expand the program in hopes that more athletes would get involved and help more people. 

Copeland has set up an organized and efficient system that makes it easy for teams to be involved. She finds sites and organizations in the Austin area that might need extra help. She also talks to the athletic coaches, who in turn discuss service projects with their teams. From there, the athletes become involved in planning the activities and projects that they will see through and participate in.

Copeland does much of the organizing and preparation for the projects, but various athletic teams are still very involved with planning as well. 

“It gives an opportunity for athletes to have a real hands-on experience in serving,” Copeland said. 

Toppers in the Community does a variety of different projects. At Arch Homeless Shelter, St. Edward’s athletes played basketball with the homeless, cleaned dorms, helped with computers and worked at the front desk.

Copeland said that the athletes also work a lot with children, referred to as “Teeny Toppers.” Some of the organizations that athletes have worked with include Helping Hand Home for Children, Heart House after-school center, Travis Heights Elementary, Dawson Elementary and Dell Children’s Hospital.

They hold one day events and implement programs. One eight-week program was held at the Phoenix House Rehab Center, where athletes visited twice a week and held activities and games for the children.

At the end of the program, teens from the Phoenix House visited St. Edward’s to watch a variety of athletic games and get the feel of being on a college campus.

Copeland said that many of these kids had mixed feelings about college, but sports helped break down that barrier. In a feedback session about the program, many participants said they are now considering trying to go to college.

“Even if just one kid ends up going to college, we have made a difference,” Copeland said.  One program, the Make-A-Wish Soccer Tournament, has been in the works this semester and is coming up this weekend. The Make-A-Wish Foundation is the official charity of NCAA Div. II.

Every year, each Div. II school raises money to donate to the foundation, which grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions.  

In the past, St. Edward’s has typically sold raffle tickets. However, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, which usually plans the fundraiser, wanted to go above and beyond this year, planning double what they usually raise. They also wanted to raise more awareness about the Make-A-Wish Foundation while adding to school spirit.

SAAC decided to hold an indoor soccer tournament open to the St. Edward’s community and even off-campus groups. Student organizations, school departments, alumni and athletes have organized 20 teams to participate.

Some athletic teams are sponsoring a group from Casa Marianella Refugee Shelter, another site that Toppers in the Community has served this year. 

The tournament will start at 10 a.m. April 25th and will run throughout most of the day. To create a World Cup atmosphere, each team will be assigned a country to represent.  Everyone is invited to  watch and support their favorite team or country. There will be raffle prizes as well as food for sale. All proceeds will go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Copeland is graduating in May and said that she hopes to have individuals take on different projects next year in order to continue Toppers in the Community.