Faculty and staff take the victory

The St. Edward’s University faculty and staff team won their third consecutive head-to-head match up with  St. Edward’s students in the annual Faculty/Staff vs. Students Softball Game.

The faculty and staff team beat the students 24-11 in a friendly competition on April 23.

The faculty and staff were led by timely hitting with the help of five homeruns. The star of the faculty and staff team was Roberto Dovalina, St. Edward’s telecommunications senior technician. Dovalina hit three of the five total homeruns for the squad.

“I just tried to put our best hitters at the top of the lineup to generate some offense early,” said Brian Perry, associate director of Student Life and member of the faculty and staff team.

After a quick first inning that left a student runner stranded on second base, the faculty and staff sought to strike first blood. In the bottom half of the inning, the faculty and staff team started scoring early with a three-run round tripper by Michael Smego, St. Edward’s payroll bookkeeper.

The score stood at 3-0 until a runner on the student  team pushed across a run in the top of the third inning. 

The game was essentially over after the sixth inning with the score standing at 19-5, but for the fun of the event, both teams agreed to play nine innings.

“We gave it a good effort. I wish I could have had a little more time with my team,” said junior Ryan Schmidt of the student squad.

All in all, both teams enjoyed the annual program,  put on by the University Programming Board. Free food, drinks and T-shirts were provided for all attendees.