Homecoming march shows school spirit

Homecoming week was not only a success among alumni, but with current students as well. St. Edward’s University hosted a variety of Homecoming events promoting school spirit, including its annual pep rally and the Topper Cup Classic.

New to the Homecoming agenda this year was the first annual March on the Hilltop.The event was organized by sophomore HillRaisers’ member Mason Simmons who felt thereweren’t enough traditions at St. Edward’s.

“Aside from the Topper Cup medallion ceremony and not walking on the seal, St. Edward’s is a little bit lacking on tradition,” he said. “Tradition is a way to get the student body involved with their university. I hope this is something that continues 10 years after I graduate.”

The March on the Hilltop included face painting, candy and free spirit items including blue and gold beads.

The event drew a crowd of about 25 people, including Topper, the St. Edward’s mascot character, but Simmons said there were fewer than expected.

“I think there was less people there than I thought there was going to be, but the quality of the enthusiasm of those present exceeded my expectations,”  Simmons said.

Simmons may look familiar to Hilltopper sports fans. As the flag bearer at the men’s homecoming basketball game and the leader of the March on the Hilltop, Simmons said he is an enthusiast for school spirit. Simmons said he loved seeing the whole student seating section filled at the men’s basketball homecoming game.