University ready for homecoming

St. Edward’s University Homecoming celebration is just around the corner, and Student Life has numerous events planned for the week.

“It’s a really neat year for Homecoming because we’re celebrating the 125th year anniversary,” said Katrina Woolery, assistant director of Student Life.

The Student Homecoming Committee is the creative force behind event planning and represents several large programs on campus that focus on school spirit. Woolery said that the committee has made just a few tweaks to Homecoming plans since last year, but they are trying to solidify the tradition by running a solid week of events.

The committee consists of sophomores Jessica Nortman, Vinny Caruso, Beverly Pappas, juniors Colleen White, Samantha Cook, Sara Hoover and Sean Harrison, and senior Samantha Cruz. Woolery said that the committee has been working since October to plan the events for Homecoming.

The cost of putting on the event will not be known until after the event.

“We’re trying to incorporate the celebration of 125 years into Homecoming events,” Woolery said. “We’re hoping that this year will be bigger and better than ever.”

In honor of the university’s 125th year anniversary, Student Life will introduce the 125 Service Challenge Feb. 15 at the Homecoming Kickoff on Ragsdale Lawn. The challenge invites students, alumni and faculty members to take part in 75,000 community service hours this year. The kickoff will allow students to sign up for the challenge, vote for Mr. and Mrs. SEU and participate in games and raffles.

“It’s a fun way for friends to come together to do silly stuff,” Woolery said.

Homecoming festivities start on the morning of Feb. 14, when students can cheer on the Austin Marathon runners who will be running by the South Congress Avenue entrance to St. Edward’s. The Homecoming Kickball Tournament will also take place on Feb. 14 on the practice soccer field from 1-4 p.m. Students, faculty and alumni are invited to watch the game and cheer on the teams competing for the Topper Cup Trophy as well as enter to win T-shirts and prizes.

“Even if you’re not competing on a team, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t show up,” Woolery said.

Students can help other teams earn fan points toward winning the Topper Cup Trophy just by coming out and supporting them.

“Fan points help a lot,” she said.

The Feb. 19 events at Homecoming will include a Pep Rally at 2:30 p.m. in the RCC as well as Casino Night at 9 p.m. in the alumni gym.

Woolery said that the goal of the Homecoming celebration is to celebrate St. Edward’s. Hoof prints will be painted on the streets around campus and large banners will be hung on South Congress Avenue to announce the Homecoming celebrations.

“We’re trying to paint the campus with spirit and campus pride,” Woolery said.

A fireworks display on the front lawn of the Main Building will wrap up the festivities the night of Feb. 20.

“It’ll be a special edition to celebrate 125 years,” Woolery said.

Students can register their teams for Homecoming game and competitions with Student Life until Feb. 10.

[email protected]