Studying abroad beneficial but not essential

Studying abroad is an integral part of many students’ university experience, and like at many other schools, it may eventually be mandatory for St. Edward’s University students. While I do not contest the importance of immersing oneself in other cultures, an institutional mandate of such an activity is neither necessary nor beneficial.

First of all, we must examine some of the groups that would be affected by mandatory study abroad programs. The School of Management and Business is the largest branch of St. Edward’s. The School of Natural Sciences is extremely successful, and may soon be our university’s greatest claim to fame. For these students in particular, the primary purpose of college is utilitarian—they attend to learn the necessary skills in their professions.

The cultural aspects associated with the endeavor to another country may be helpful, but are not the purpose of their four years in school. Students of the sciences generally want to take their classes, learn the skills for their profession, graduate and start using them in the real world. Mandatory study abroad could only be a nuisance to them.

St. Edward’s has a strong community. Professors have flexible hours and know students by name. Students become accustomed to this environment, and there are few better places for them to receive an education. Since we have such a considerate faculty and strong support structure, students should always have the option to take all of their classes here. If they want to experience other cultures, that is their choice, but those who wish to remain on campus should be free to do so.

Studying abroad is not the best way to experience another culture. School can be stressful and occupies much of a student’s time, which would lessen the impact and the positive experiences someone could garner from studying abroad. Everyone should travel at some point—see other countries, visit beautiful cities and enjoy the culture of entirely foreign lands. This is imperative—absolutely essential—to one’s existence as a fully flourishing human being.

But appreciating the magic and power of the experience is harder when you have to worry about classes. If you really want to enjoy your time abroad, be bold and autonomous. Do it yourself with your own plans.