Athletic trends seen on campus

The easiest way to identify an athlete is by uniform. The colors, cut, logos and design can tell us what sport they play, what institution or area they represent and a variety of other more subtle hints about their personalities and abilities.

But beyond standard issue uniforms, there are other athletic clothing items and accessories that are capable of communicating those same messages. They have become a sort of unofficial uniform, an implied signifier of a person’s pension for sports, and they can be seen inside and outside of the gym.

Some of the trends even redefine the unwritten, yet understood rules of mainstream fashion. For instance, socks with sandals and male capris are widely worn.

One of the most popular trends, especially among busy college students, is wearing athletic shorts as normal daywear. In fact, the look has become so commonplace that, for many, it does not seem unusual at all. For girls, Nike running shorts are easily the most popular option.

“For me, Nike running shorts are an easy choice for busy days,” said senior Theresa McClory said. “I can go from class, to working out, to grabbing food and hanging out without changing or looking totally out of place.”

McClory said the shorts are both comfortable and multifunctional.

Like many female athletes, freshman basketball player Shaniqua Adams prefers to hold her hair back with an elastic headband while playing. But she has found that the look can translate off the court too.

“I always have basketball hair, even when I’m not playing basketball,” she said.

Adams typically wears a simple black band with her uniform on game days, but when dressing for a normal day, she tends to match colored headbands with her outfits.

While playing, many girls choose to hold their hair back with functional pre-wrap. The wrap is designed to keep athletic tape from sticking to the skin. However, its stretchy nature, and the fact that you can customize the size of your desired strip, also makes it a great headband. But while pre-wrap may be totally acceptable for the gym, elastic headbands are a much more fashion-conscious way to accomplish the same goal for an everyday look.

Sophomore basketball player Everett Swain also carries aspects of his athletic look outside of the gym, and notices the implications that this brings.

After workouts, he tends to slip on a pair of sandals right over his long athletic socks, a look that is popular among basketball players and other athletes alike. The convenient look has become somewhat of an identifier.

“After playing a sport, it is not only a symbol of comfort, but it is a red flag to the public that ‘that guy is an athlete and must have played hard,'” he said. “And, that’s always a great confidence booster for the next game.”