Brittney Griner versus Sara Head

The St. Edward’s University women’s basketball team is scheduled to face off against fifth ranked Baylor University on Nov. 3 at 7 p.m. in a showdown that is bound to make history.

The exhibition game will showcase a new prodigy of Baylor’s women’s squad: Brittney Griner. Griner, a 6’8″ freshman from Aldine Nimitz High School in Houston, has a wingspan of 7’4″, only 3/4 of an inch less than former University of Texas star and current Oklahoma City

Forward Kevin Durant’s. It will be Griner’s first collegiate game.

In high school, Griner was able to set a national single-game record making 25 blocks against Alief Hastings last season.

One of Griner’s most famous attributes is that she is able to dunk a basketball effortlessly, with one hand or two, and get hang time above the rim.

“I’ve never seen a girl that can effortlessly dunk it any way she wants,” Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said in an Oct. 21 article in the Austin American-Statesman. “I think the only dunk I’ve not ever seen her do is a windmill. But there’s more to Brittney Griner than just dunking the basketball.”

Griner dunked 52 times in 32 games her senior year while also averaging a triple-double, with 33 points, 15.5 rebounds and 11.7 blocks a game.

Matching up against Griner will be St. Edward’s senior Sara Head.

Sara Head is a 6’2″ forward from Keller. Head accumulated 11 consecutive double-doubles last year. She was also named Honorable Mention for the Heartland Conference All-Conference team her freshman year, First Team All-Conference her sophomore year and Second Team All-Conference her junior year.

“I’m feeling as confident as I can, seeing as she is 6’8,” Head said. “I’m definitely going to work hard and we’re just going to have to play tough defense.”

Head also said they will have to protect against the lob pass, a type of pass that is thrown over a defender who is playing ballside defense, and they will have to have double-team Griner. 

“From our intersquad scrimmage, I’m feeling pretty positive on how well we will do as a team as far as communicating, offense and defense,” Head said. “As far as Baylor goes, we know they’re a very good team and it will be a good starting point to work off of for the year.”

In the annual Heartland Conference Preseason Poll, the Hilltoppers were picked to finish third by the conference coaches behind the University of the Incarnate Word and St. Mary’s University.

“My expectations are very high,” said Head. “We have worked very hard during preseason and will continue to work hard. I think that this year we have what it takes to go all the way.

We definitely have the talent and our team chemistry is better than its ever been.”

The Hilltoppers will kick off their regular season November 20-21 when they host AbileneChristian University and Angelo State University in the St. Edward’s Shootout.