Donald Trump’s precious border wall: enough is enough

Though there is no concrete wall in place, there are still fences and numerous border patrol agents blocking the border.

Annika Strout

At this point it’s no secret that President Donald Trump is a frequenter of Twitter; especially when he wants to, among other things, stir up a lot of unnecessary drama. It is also no secret that Trump was elected, at least in part, because of his promise to erect a Border Wall in order to separate the United States from Mexico.

Now a year into his presidency, if you can call his impulsive rapid-fire fits of rage targeted at just about everyone who didn’t vote for him a presidency, there is still no wall. For most, this can be interpreted as a sigh of relief since Mexico is not only one of our closest trade allies, but also a country we don’t want to go to war with.

However, even though there is no big brick wall, Mr. All bark, no Bite still has a way of interjecting his beautiful wall, that again does not exist, into real life issues. This time, it’s DACA.

For those wondering how Trump screwed up so badly, it may have had something to do with him calling Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer ‘Crying Chuck Schumer’ over Twitter when he decided to take all delusions of a border wall out of the negotiations for DACA.

CNN covered this particular story and, quoted Trump saying, “A wall is required as part of any potential deal.”

From then on, things only go from bad to worse.

According to CNN, Congress forced a government shutdown “over immigration policy disputes, including funding for the wall and the future of DACA recipients.” Now this is concerning for two reasons. The first is that Liberal Democrats, who think that a wall is ridiculous, might back away from funding immigration services at all because of the border wall being put in immigration reform. The second reason is that this literally caused a government shut-down. Trump’s lunatic tweets don’t have so much momentum, at least not enough to cause a shutdown.

So this begs the question, what can we as citizens do? We, unfortunately, can only vote for government officials not run the whole show ourselves, so there is a limited amount of action we can take against Trump deciding to delegate to us through Twitter.

However, we can donate to DACA. And liberals, I know that it is upsetting that the Border Wall is even brought up at the same time as DACA, but I implore you don’t back away. More than likely, this border wall isn’t going to happen, but even if it does we need to be there for the people most affected by this act of blatant bigotry. We need to stand by DACA, and unfortunately that means willingly funding immigrant services. Leading to some of our money going to, as Former Mexican President, Vicente Fox calls it, “That Stupid F***ing wall.”