10 of the most overrated actors thriving in a Hollywood lacking diversity

Overrated
Overrated

Overrated

Overrated

Hollywood’s always been dominated by white people, and it, unfortunately, is going to stay that way for a while. But this doesn’t mean we have to pretend like these big name, white actors are any good at what they do. Yes, there are actors that you can for sure tell they are bad at what they do (looking at you, Adam Sandler), but there are also actors who are given a plethora of roles for no apparent reason other than likeability: their whiteness is a bubble that protects them from criticism. Of course, not all white actors are terrible: look at Meryl Streep! Godlike. But the fact of the matter is, a lot of white actors do the bare minimum and still manage to receive praise. So, as a result of a  never-ending barrage of pettiness, here is a list of 10 overrated white actors in Hollywood.

1. Jennifer Lawrence: Lawrence has built her career following the “Hunger Games” franchise off being “quirky” and “relatable af.” However, Lawrence, like many other actors on this list, can only play one character: the white, female, overpowered protagonist.

2. Chris Pratt: Pratt admittedly suffers from the same problem as Lawrence. He can only play the charming, funny, sexy male protagonist. With the oversexualization of men and women in Hollywood, it was easy for him to get cast in these terrible roles after getting his six pack.

3. Mark Wahlberg: Even though Wahlberg’s been in a diverse set of roles, he hasn’t exactly played them well. At all. He’s played a mourning father in “The Lovely Bones” and a total douchebag in “Ted” but he delivers lines with the same, unchanging tone.

4. Tina Fey: Ms. Fey literally writes all of these roles for herself. She isn’t being challenged in the work that she does; she can’t stray away from literally any role that doesn’t have the word “quirky” in the description.

5. Scarlett Johansson: Scarjo almost didn’t make the list since she’s Asian according to “Ghost in the Shell.” Despite her many roles in 90s era Rom-Coms, she has only played the same role as Lawrence in films like “The Avengers” and “Lucy.” Her trademark smirk is getting old.

6. Amy Schumer: Where to begin? Schumer’s career has blossomed from unfunny sex jokes on Comedy Central into unfunny sex jokes in theaters with a heaping helping of not-so-lowkey racism.

7. Seth Rogen: Rogen is a prime example of the saying “art imitates life.” Meaning, he can only play the dumb stoner friend in films because in reality, he is a dumb stoner.

8. James Franco: The height of Franco’s career is going to be his portrayal of Tommy Wiseau in “The Disaster Artist.” Look at all his past films, “Spiderman,” his five minutes in “Alien Covenant” and even him playing himself in “This is the End,” and try to disagree.   

9. Ryan Gosling: Although Gosling’s role in “The Nice Guys” was fantastic, Gosling himself is as bland as all his romance movies. At this point, he’s only earning roles because audiences love when his face is plastered on posters.

10.  Tom Cruise: Cruise had his time, but now his name only serves to sell tickets. His name on a poster is an automatic guarantee to audiences that whatever action flick is being advertised is sure to be the number one movie in America.