Jacob Rogers says goodbye

Jacob+Rogers

Jacob Rogers

The floor in Andre Hall is hard. This is something I have come to know very well over the past four years while working, and many times sleeping, in the newspaper office.

Since September of 2013, I have taken some part in 99 issues — from starting as a reporter, to sports editor, to news editor and finally editor-in-chief. I cannot believe I have survived it all.

Thank you to my friends for your support and professors for (sometimes) letting me skip class to attend an event or cover a big story. I’ve always strived to get the full story and be accurate. Sometimes that meant stepping on toes or asking tough questions.

I want to thank the 100+ people I’ve interviewed and give a special thanks to Mischelle Diaz for putting up with me.

I didn’t do this in high school, or even study it college. I’m a proud business student who wanted to shine a light on important issues.

Thank you to Clint Carrens for hiring me as a resident assistant (RA) and shout-out to the 2015-16 residents of Teresa Hall. You all kept me on my toes and really changed my perspective on what goes on behind the scenes in a freshmen dorm.

Thank you to the faculty and staff that puts up with our shenanigans in Andre Hall. Occasionally, shouting and loud laughing have disturbed some. Even with this happening, there was always a lot of support coming from the School of Humanities. On the hard days, faculty would stop by, offer candy or coffee and let us know to hang in there. We sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you to my friends at Campus Recreation. There are too many to name, but I can say some of my fondest memories from college will come from my time working with you all and participating in intramurals.

Thank you to the Student Government upperclassmen who influenced and guided me in my early days of college. Those Thursday nights at The Huddle were legendary.

And finally, to my staff. There have been so many people I’ve worked with over the years, too many to write here.

Having the opportunity to work with four different and very unique editorial staffs has been humbling. There have been some great people that have worked at this paper. While some days involved arguing and others nothing but smiles, I can truthfully say I have enjoyed it all.

A special note of appreciation for Design Chief Paula Santos. Your craziness and laughter energized us late at night to get our work done. Your nicknames were interesting to say the least. 

The staff in the next year will do amazing things. But I’m excited to have my Monday nights back, and to watch from the outside.