Viewpoint: SGA relic of the past; students can do better

Why do we need a student government? What good do they do, besides isolating those students who want to be in SGA from the rest of us for a few hours a week? It’s a bunch of ineffective self-promoters who think it’s good fun to hang around with a bunch of like-minded individuals once a week while they pretend they’re making a difference.

Rise above the cycle. This year, vote for the dissolution of the SGA as a student organization.

After all, why do we need them? If they want an organization to put on their grad school applications, why not make them participate in something that actually makes a difference? There are plenty of volunteer organizations that could use another set of hands doing some honest work instead of sitting around failing to move a bike rack, ban smoking on campus for the fourth year in a row or do anything of consequence.

Without SGA, they might accidentally end up in an organization where promotion comes through merit, from being competent and talented, rather than a confusing and myopic student election plagued by nonviable candidates.

The school is staffed by a number of very competent professionals. So why do we need to waste time with a bunch of resume-polishers misusing the school budget and sitting around getting nothing done, instead of bringing your issues directly to the staff?

If you have an issue that bothers you so much that you feel compelled to tell someone, tell the appropriate faculty member and work with them to get it fixed. And if you don’t think it’s a big enough issue to bring to someone’s attention, why are you wasting time complaining about it? This year has showed us the dangers of electoral college-like arrangements.  

We do not need this wasteful organization on campus. In 2017, more so than ever before, people have the power to come together to get something changed, to protest an unpopular decision or to advocate for something they want to see in the world.

Why do we need some middleman organization like SGA, a part of the institution that justs sits and drags down the efficiency of the whole process with its meetings and debates and motions? All it does is throttles the communications loop betweens students and the faculty for its own one-sided gain in resume padding and self-congratulatory gestures.

This year, you can help change that. Argue against the continuation of this vestigial organization. Like an appendix or tonsils, a short, sharp procedure will sever them from the body corporate and improve the health of the campus culture as a whole by not legitimizing their wasteful, worthless ways.

This year, go to the college faculty and demand the dissolution of the student government to improve the communications between students and the school, to save us money and to remove a useless position sought only by these at-heart bureaucrats.

Like the electoral college, student government is just one more way for unnecessary people to take advantage of the channels of representation between students and faculty. We don’t need them. 

They need to find a way to make their own way in the world; to build their own worth through work and talent, rather than hanging around committee-ing with each other, covering each other’s interests and working solely for themselves and their future aspirations, as opposed to doing anything to help the student body. This can be the year you improve your lot by telling them to take a hike; let your voice be heard.