Signing Day: Athletes commit to St. Edward’s University

On Feb. 1, high school seniors across the nation celebrated their accomplishment of officially committing to play collegiate sports on National Signing Day. The Athletics Department will release official recruitment numbers at the end of the month. Here are profiles on three future Hilltoppers.

SOCCER – Sarah Serrano is originally from San Juan, Texas and is a senior forward on the varsity soccer team at Pharr-San Juan-Alamo North Early College High School in Pharr, Texas. Her grandfather first introduced her to the game of soccer at the age of three, and has been to all her matches since then. At family gatherings, they would watch Club América of Mexican soccer leagues, and Barcelona. Her favorite professional forwards are Alex Morgan of the U.S. women’s national team, as well as Barcelona’s Lionel Messi and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo. Known as a “playmaker,” the 5-foot-5-inch Serrano says she is good at making assists, whether it be on her district-champion high school basketball team or her national-champion club soccer team the Houston Dynamo of McAllen, Texas. Serrano’s father was the one who brought her on her campus visit because her parents were working at the time, and he was the first person to congratulate her once she officially signed to play on the women’s soccer team. Entering St. Edward’s with 60 college credit hours, the kinesiology major is excited to make new friends, explore Austin and make her family proud on the pitch. 

BASKETBALL – Logan Cook grew up playing and watching basketball his whole life in his hometown of Muenster, Texas alongside his brother Lyndon, who is two years older. Although the two are very competitive, Logan is less outspoken and has played more positions than Lyndon, who has been a post player for most of his career. Logan has always taken pride in being an “unselfish” player who dives on the floor for a loose ball or looks for an open man. An advantage of Logan’s is that he can pass the ball really well, which is a trait associated with his favorite player Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks. Muenster High School is currently undefeated in district play, and the 6-foot-6-inch forward hopes his father’s basketball team will advance to a second-straight state championship appearance in March. Logan will join Lyndon in the fall, as they will become the fourth set of brother duos affiliated with the men’s basketball team. Once he arrives to the big city of Austin, Logan plans on majoring in either business or finance at St. Edward’s, and is excited for the opportunity to play college basketball alongside his brother.

BASEBALL- Kendall Price is a baseball player from Forney, Texas, coming to St. Edward’s this fall. Standing at 6-foot-2-inches, he grew up playing a variety of sports in an athletic family. Baseball ultimately stole his heart, as he went on to play varsity at Forney High School and select ball with a Dallas Patriots traveling team. With utility experience as a catcher, third baseman and right fielder, Price hopes to bring the team that “extra edge” needed to win a national championship. His favorite athletes are five-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Tom Brady and 14-time MLB All-Star Alex Rodríguez, before the steroids. Excited to become a Hilltopper, he plans to start as a business administration major and join the baseball team as a catcher.