COMMENTARY: Clippers should seal deal with Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo+Anthony
Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony

Adrian Gonzalez

It’s no secret that the New York Knicks are having a disappointing season. Rather than building around a young, promising Kristaps Porzingis, the Knicks decided to surround Carmelo Anthony with a few big-name veterans who are past their prime.

But even with those questionable roster additions, the Knicks still find themselves sitting hopelessly as the No. 10 seed in the Eastern Conference. And even with a dynamic player like Anthony on their team, it seems like there is nothing New York can do to increase their wins.

The 2017 NBA Trade Deadline is just weeks away on Feb. 23. 

Should the Knicks continue this dreadful roster experiment or trade the ringless Anthony to perhaps benefit both his legacy and their bright future led by Porzingis?  

Although Anthony isn’t having his best season, the 32-year-old has proven that he can still be a valuable asset and offensive threat. 

Averaging an impressive 23 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game, the small forward can certainly make an impact on whichever team is willing to give him a shot.

However, since Anthony has a no-trade clause, he doesn’t necessarily have to agree with the trade if he doesn’t like it — meaning he could stay in New York if he pleases.

Though, in the event that he does decide to waive it, he stated that he would “consider” leaving New York if he likes the management’s trade offer.

That being said, there are a few teams that have shown interest in him without having to give-up their best players, one being the Los Angeles Clippers. The Clippers would make perfect sense. The Clippers and Anthony are in a similar situation: they both need to win now, and can’t afford to waste any more time.

Two out of three of L.A.’s best players, Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, will be free-agents soon, which means they have a chance to leave L.A. and sign wherever they please.

But if Anthony, a great friend of Paul’s, were to be thrown into the mix, then that should persuade them both to stay and form a lethal and contending match-up against the roaring Spurs and Warriors in the Western Conference.

Considering the Clippers don’t have consistent small forwards, they either double up on the amount of big men they have on the floor or start two point guards to fill in the gap of the missing position. 

The issue of having players taking over a position that is unfamiliar to them or just completely different from their original position can be solved if a dependable and dominant small forward like Anthony were to step in.

The time for the Clippers to legitimately compete in the West is now or never, and the best way to do that is to add the missing piece — a talented player who not only has a similar situation, but who is also ready to start winning: Anthony.

About the Writer
Adrian Gonzalez, Sports Editor

I am Adrian Gonzalez— Writing Major, with a concentration in Journalism & Digital Media with Communication minor and Sports Editor at Hilltop Views. This is my junior year at St. Edward’s University. I have been involved with this organization since my freshman year, where I used my graphic design skills to contribute to page layouts. After changing my major to writing my sophomore year, I knew I could use my skills to become a weekly writer for the newspaper. Now, as an editor, I hope to share my knowledge with my fellow staff writers and continue to learn through the other section editors.