To All The Rom Coms I’ve Loved Before: Netflix original steals viewer’s hearts

The+Netflix+original+is+inspired+by+Jenny+Han%27s+2014+young+adult+novel.+

The Netflix original is inspired by Jenny Han's 2014 young adult novel.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Sierra Rozen, Viewpoints Editor

Think back to all the middle school and high school crushes you ever had. Now imagine the horror of them all suddenly finding out about your unrequited love.

As a romantic comedy, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” resonates with viewers who have experienced the confusing feelings of a first love while trying to navigate single parents, over-involved siblings and jealous ex-girlfriends.

“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is a 2018 romantic comedy that is currently capturing the hearts of countless viewers. Based on the best-selling novel by Jenny Han, this film will make you wish your love letters got leaked.

17-year-old protagonist Lara Jean Song Covey has a ritual: once she develops a crush on someone, she writes them a letter, addresses it and hides it away in a special box. This would seem like an insignificant thing if not for the fact that they are revealed.   

What ensues is the awkward hilarity that comes with Lara Jean explaining to the five boys how this came to be. In an attempt to throw one of them off her track, she embarks on a fake relationship with former crush and letter recipient: Peter Kavinsky.

Now we move on to the main conflict– can Lara Jean and Peter successfully pull off a fake relationship without actually catching real feelings?

It is easy to see why so many viewers are enamored by this movie. Not only does it have well-developed characters and believable acting, it also has a story that most young people can relate to.

For a rom com, this film is quite enjoyable, mainly because of the obvious chemistry between Lara Jean and Peter. The two main actors, Lana Condor and Noah Centineo, are stars in the making as seen by the immense positive response the two have received. Since the release of the movie, both have developed a massive fan following on social media.

The movie has quite a marvelous soundtrack, featuring hits like “I Like Me Better” by Lauv and “You’re Not Good Enough” by Blood Orange. It also includes some old school throwbacks such as “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears.

The film has been praised for its representation. The main family is half Korean and half Caucasian. Many users took to social media to express their joy over seeing a relatable protagonist.

However, the movie does follow somewhat of a predictable plot line that viewers have come to expect from romantic comedies. While this is not necessarily a downside, it is something to keep in mind when searching for something to watch on Netflix.

Overall, this is the perfect movie for a girls night in, or whenever you need a good pick me up. This is also a much better option than other currently popular Netflix originals, such as “The Kissing Booth,” which ends up promoting toxic relationships. For anyone who enjoys a good time and lots of laughs when watching a movie, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is the film for you.