FACEOFF: Is soccer or basketball the better sport?

Reilly Cardillo and Adrian Gonzalez

No matter how many sports there are, two of the most universally popular are soccer and basketball. But which of the two is the best?

SOCCER: Legendary Brazilian player Pelé called it, “The Beautiful Game”. Most call it football or fútbol. Whatever name it goes by, it smells as sweet: the best sport in the world. For simplicity’s sake, we’ll just call it soccer.

Logistically and conceptually, soccer makes an inarguable case for low scoring games. Low scoring sports are fraught with drama and intensity because each play is an opportunity for unique glory. When a goal is scored, the opposing team knows that the stakes have immediately risen and that equalizing will be a heroic effort in and of itself. This leaves room for underdogs to rise and giants to fall in truly epic fashion.

Soccer is also the world’s most universal sport. It’s played in almost every country around the world and celebrated every four years in the greatest display of intercultural competition imaginable: The World Cup. This tournament functions as an arena for international bonding and is always loaded with timely symbolism.

Beyond the giant production of the World Cup, soccer is also accessible worldwide, regardless of socioeconomic status. To play the game, all you need is a ball and makeshift posts. That’s it. There’s no necessity for expensive equipment or specific field standards. Soccer is the best sport because it can be played anywhere, at any time, with anyone.

And that’s also the beauty of it. Soccer can be a sport for anyone. Which makes it a wonderful unifier, an unmatched method of connection, and a source of inspiration for all.

BASKETBALL: Basketball is hands down the most enjoyable sport to watch. Unlike many other complex sports, the concept of it is literally quite simple: put the ball into the hoop.

This simplicity along with the breath-taking plays and electrifying athleticism is what makes this sport so special to fans all around the world; and is what makes it have a case for being the most popular in the nation.

Unlike other sports that typically finish with lower scoring games, basketball games, particularly on the professional level, often finish with scores of over 100 points from both teams. This results in fast-paced fun and non-stop entertainment from the start of the game to the very end.

The indoor environment of an indoor basketball court also adds a very noticeable element to the overall fan experience. With the roars of enthusiastic crowds encapsulated in an arena and vibrant energy jumping off the walls, watching a basketball game is unlike watching any other sport.

Whether a big fan of the sport or not, basketball is just so easy to enjoy through all of its aspects. With endless flashy dunks, seemingly impossible shots and exciting teamwork, basketball offers a variety of reasons for many to agree that it is truly the most superior sport of them all.

About the Contributors
Reilly Cardillo, Reporter

I am Reilly Cardillo— Writing and Rhetoric major with a concentration in Journalism, staff writer for Hilltop Views. This is my senior year at St. Edward’s University. I cut my teeth as a fashion and entertainment journalist for the St. Edward’s arts and culture magazine, CABRA, of which I am now the Editor-in-Chief. My aim at Hilltop Views is to bring a creative focus to traditional news stories and hone my research and reporting skills. When not writing or pretending to be writing or procrastinating writing, I am listening to Bruce Springsteen, swimming at the Greenbelt, or spelunking through Vogue Runway.

Adrian Gonzalez, Sports Editor

I am Adrian Gonzalez— Writing Major, with a concentration in Journalism & Digital Media with Communication minor and Sports Editor at Hilltop Views. This is my junior year at St. Edward’s University. I have been involved with this organization since my freshman year, where I used my graphic design skills to contribute to page layouts. After changing my major to writing my sophomore year, I knew I could use my skills to become a weekly writer for the newspaper. Now, as an editor, I hope to share my knowledge with my fellow staff writers and continue to learn through the other section editors.