Men’s soccer team vs. Lubbock Christian ends in double OT draw


Juan Diaz

Matthew Parker (left) fights for a loose ball.

In a Heartland Conference rivalry matchup, St. Edward’s University and Lubbock Christian University men’s soccer teams squared off Saturday afternoon in what ended in a zero-to-zero double overtime draw.

The result of the game left a very different taste in the two teams’ mouths this Saturday. In the opening minutes of the game, Lubbock Christian pressed hard and St. Edward’s was forced to soak up their attacks. But after getting settled, St. Edward’s began to take command by building strong plays up the field from midfield and a high back line.

At times, Lubbock Christian seemed vincible down the wings and at the top of their own box where St. Edward’s players would find space and passing lanes to their teammates.

Unfortunately, none of that space yielded any goals as the Lubbock Christian defense seemed to block incisive pass after incisive pass and shot after shot, keeping them in the game by a hair and ultimately rewarding them with a point on the day.

For Lubbock Christian, walking away with a point was a victory, “This year we’re actually competing with top teams like Saint Ed’s”, says Conner Dean, Lubbock Christian forward. “To come out with a point is good”.

Though it seemed like St. Edward’s would certainly pull ahead and win this one, the game had its fair share of challenges. The weather provided a unique obstacle for St. Edward’s, as the storms throughout the past few weeks forced the team to play two games in the four days prior to this match.

Even though St. Edward’s was on their third match in five days, they played with tenacity, and the match was a physical and explosive one. There was worry for midfielder Parker Fyfe after a contested header in the air ended with him being intended and taking a nasty land on his back.

The Lubbock Christian player promptly picked up a yellow card and Parker was helped off the field by medical trainers. After some time on the sideline, he re-entered the game triumphantly and had a rifled shot which was narrowly pushed over the top of the goal by the Lubbock Christian keeper.

“Yeah, the keeper made a good save. I thought it was in when I hit it”, said Parker on his near game-winner.

When asked about their inability to convert chances to goals, both Parker and St. Edward’s Head Coach Bill Young said the team will be working on finishing in training in order to be fully prepared for next game.

With the number of chances the team created, it doesn’t look as though a lack of goals will stay an issue this season.

The St. Edward’s men’s soccer team has a current record of 3-3-1 and will travel to play Rogers State University on Thursday.