SEU senior conserves stronghold on offensive conference award

Courtesy of SEU Athletic Communication

Senior Dylan Armstrong earns Heartland Conference Offensive Player of the Week.

Senior midfielder Dylan Armstrong earns recognition as he brought home Heartland Conference Offensive Player of the Week award during the first week of October. With a record of 5-6-1 in conference play, the team continued to build momentum heading into the last stretch of the season with Armstrong’s conference recognition.

Contributing eight points and two assists in two games, the England native was able to turn some conference heads as he helped the team take the win against Dallas Baptist while keeping a high level of competition during the loss to Midwestern State. This is Armstrong’s first Player of the Week award this season and second of his collegiate career.

A hallmarking achievement isn’t the only thing on Armstrong’s mind when talking about his time being part of the team at St. Edwards, as he details his experience as a young freshmen to a skilled veteran.

“When I came there were 11 of us in our Freshmen class and now there are only two of us and for me to stick through it has been quite an achievement,” Armstrong said. “To be here my senior year and be a semester away from graduating means a lot, it’s quite sad but I’ll still be around the team after this.”

Coming off the bench during his freshman season to now being a crucial part of the team, Armstrong’s attributes his achievement to his hard work.With a high soccer IQ and creative footwork, his game is described to be as versatile as it gets. Head Men’s Soccer Coach Brian Young describes the Senior’s game as one that is very technical.

“I think he scored the goals that he should’ve scored while other goals he created on his own,” Young said. “He also has goals that he just finishes technically better than most as he is a left footed player but he can also finish on his right.”

Armstrong’s success this season gleans from his preparation in the months prior to it. The English native remained in Houston, Texas, for the spring and summer seasons to continue training. Armstrong reflects on some of his personal goals as he recognizes his senior season is coming to its end.

“I want to try and get a First-Team Heartland Conference spot along with an All-American recognition, but for the team I want us to succeed nationally,” Armstrong said. “I want for us to go beyond the Heartland Tournament and go to the national tournament.”

Young is hopeful for the rest of Armstrong’s season. He is confident in his team and their skillset.

“Going into the final stretch, it will be a focus of opponents to stop him but we also have other players that will make it dangerous for us to score goals,” Young said. “Hopefully that will give Dylan a chance or two and that is really all he needs.”

SEU has two games of Heartland Conference play left. Armstrong and company are set to face conference opponents Oklahoma Christian and Dallas Baptist this week.