Students request library to be open 24 hours to increase productivity

Katya Melchor/Hilltop Views

Many students enjoy spending time in the library. However, many believe that a 24 hour library would make them more productive.

I love the library. There’s nothing like walking into the large building and instantly feeling your productive levels surge through the roof. It puts you in a state of mind to get your assignments done. Often times, people prefer to study and finish assignments in the library because of the quiet,  that a lot of us desperately need when participating in homework grinds. I know, for me, studying in the library helps.

However, there’s one little factor that prevents a lot of us from going to super saiyan study mode in the library — its operating hours.

As of right now, the Munday Library is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., Friday from 7:30 a.m to 9 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Sunday from 12 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. At first, it would seem that the library’s hours are able to accommodate to students’ study times, even extending their hours during finals week.

When asked about the idea of having a 24 hour library, Melissa Lopez, a freshman student, had this to say. “I hate having to be kicked out while in the middle of studying… I’d think it would be very beneficial for everyone.”

Surely, if we pay thousands of dollars to come and study at St. Edward’s University, wouldn’t it be reasonable to provide a valuable resource such as the library to students whenever?

From a different perspective, it would seem excessive to have the library open 24 hours. They would argue that students have the opportunity to study within the time frame of the current hours of operation. Yes, students do have multiple opportunities to visit the library during its current hours of operation. However, there are students who have night classes and aren’t able to have study sessions because the facility will close soon.

Another reason some argue against the idea of Munday Library operating for 24 hours would be the staff. The librarians that run the library already have enough work; it would be too stressful for them.

While that is something to consider, there might be a solution to that. The library has students working as assistants when the library staff aren’t able to be there. I think that there could be more student helpers that are willing to work through the late night and early morning hours.

Overall, I think the idea of Munday being open 24 hours can be beneficial to the university in the long run. If St. Ed’s students are willing to go to great lengths for something like this, then why try to prevent this from happening? The more students willing to speak up about this change, the higher the odds St. Edward’s University will be willing to keep the library open 24/7.