Campus Recreation expanding, offers more opportunities to get involved

Campus Recreation is creating different avenues of ways to become active.

GroupX is one of the most popular fitness programs that Campus Recreation currently offers.

For $30, you receive a semester pass that entitles you to kickboxing, yoga, zumba fitness classes and more. Classes range from 45 minutes to an hour, making it convenient for busy college students.

From club volleyball to lacrosse, there are many club sports options for students on and off campus.

Campus Recreation is creating different avenues of ways to become active so that fitness doesn’t only happen behind the doors of the University Federal Credit Union Alumni Gym.

Campus Recreation continues to offer intramural sports, including flag football and volleyball, but also is expanding.

Adventure trips are new programs which allow students to visit other areas of Texas, while participating in fitness activities.

According to the Campus Recreation website, some of these trips include camping in Lost Maples State Park, a rock climbing excursion and a ski trip to Colorado during winter break for $400.

“I would definitely do that because it’s not that much money at all,” sophomore Alex Ruiz said. “If it covers your meals and lodging, I’m definitely here for it.”

Sophomore Evguenia Gololobova was excited to hear about the inexpensive prices,

“I know some programs usually charge you hundreds of dollars to go on trips like this but this is an amazing deal,” she said.

“These trips allow us to appeal to different students who may not be interested in any of our club sports or GroupX classes,” Director of Campus Recreation Andy Lemons said. “By providing a wide range of activities, we can meet the demand.”

Students also have the option of renting campus equipment if they’re unable to make it to one of the trips. Information for rentals can also be found on Campus Recreation’s main page.

If you were unable to catch Campus Recreation at the Involvement Fair, it’s not too late to sign up for future excursions. You can contact the Outdoor Adventure Coordinator.