Austin Marathon offers over 30 bands, classic city scenery

Many people will be preparing to celebrate Valentine’s weekend in less than two weeks. However, more than 17,000 people from across the world will be preparing for an accomplishment of a lifetime.

On Feb. 15, the city of Austin will host the annual Austin Marathon and Half Marathon for runners. The course is set to take place in the most scenic areas including Lady Bird Lake, University of Texas at Austin, the Texas Capitol and down South Congress Avenue. Austin is often referred to as “The Live Music Capitol of the World,” so it is only fitting there will be over 30 bands throughout the course to keep the runners going.

One St. Edward’s University student participating in the race is junior Chris Jackson. In the past, Jackson has run 10 half marathons, but this upcoming marathon will be his third full one.

Jackson has run all of his life and wanted to continue in college.

“At the time (freshman year) St. Edward’s didn’t have a running program like I was used to in high school, so I found this (Austin Marathon) and decided I would go all out and train for the full (marathon),” Jackson said.

Jackson is only improving in his time. Not only did he run the full in 3:04:04 his first year, but in his second race, he did a 2:49:46. His new goal is to run is 2:43:00, but he also adds he has bigger plans in the future.

“I’m most excited for my long term goal, which is to run fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon, so I can run in 2016 for my senior year,” he said.

Another student who will be competing in his first half marathon is senior James Mendez.

“I’m most excited about completing my first one in general,” he says.

Although Mendez is running for his own satisfaction in knowing he completed a half marathon, he is also running for an old high school teacher who was dear to him.

“He was an inspiration to me for running long distance and I plan on writing his initials on my arm come race day to remind myself of why I am running,” Mendez shares.

While many students think their biggest worries are their Valentine’s Day plans, keep in mind students in our own community will be embarking on an amazing accomplishment.