SGA discusses using leftover funds for student scholarships

SGA introduced a bill on Jan. 22 that could create a $500 merit based scholarship from leftover funds at the end of each school year. 

A new scholarship may be on its way if it is approved by the Student Government Association. 

The bill, “Recognizing the People,” was introduced by Sen. Jonathan Edwards on Jan. 22. It will amend SGA rules to create two $500 merit based scholarships from leftover funds at the end of each school year.

In past years, SGA has had about $1,700 of funds remaining at the end of each school year.

If approved, the scholarships will be available to St. Edward’s University students next fall.

The scholarship will require that full-time students maintain a GPA of 3.5, are involved around campus and have letters of recommendation from faculty. Students must not be involved with SGA in the year of applying.

“This is a great idea and a great way to use the money we always end up having left over,” Sen. Marcy Marbut said. “It’s a great way for students to recognize that Student Government is giving back to them.”

SGA Service Director Cali Chidester introduced “One Big Day”, a senate resolution requesting that additional funds from the secondary account be placed in the budget for The Big Event service project in order for committee members to attend a conference.

The Big Event is a SGA-sponsored service project that takes place in April. Students, faculty and staff members help clean, paint and mend homes, churches, parks and schools in the area surrounding St. Edward’s.

Chidester requested that $605 from the account be directed to the Big Event Service Director budget so that the committee members can attend the One Big Thanks conference hosted at Texas A&M University.

Both senate bills were approved by the senate through first and final passage.

Three senate resolutions were approved through final passage.

“Temporary Parking For, Of, and By the Students” written by Sen. Dominick Namis has been approved by Facilities to implement two parking spaces for people conducting quick business on campus.

Namis hopes the two approved temporary parking places will be available by the end of February near the Carriage House. The allotted parking time and consequences for parking violations are still being decided.

With the final passage of “Swing Low, Sweet Hammock,” facilities staff will place hammock poles in the shady areas between Andre Hall and Trustee Hall, Doyle Hall and Premont Hall, and near the apartments by Community Building 2.

“The Cup of Saints,” a senate resolution written by Sen. Felicia Stevens, will allow for the co-purchase of a trophy for the annual Battle of the Saints sporting events.

A trophy base will be co-purchased by the student governments of St. Edward’s and St. Mary’s University, which will each pay $137. The university who earns the cup at the end of the year will be responsible for purchasing their plaque titles and adding them on the base of the trophy.

Two Associate Justices, Ashley Nava and Jesus Perez, were inducted into SGA along with the ambassador for the School of Natural Sciences, Sharon Freshour.

Follow Amanda on Twitter @Amanda620DG