Animal friends should be able to stay in campus residences

Currently, pets are not allowed on campus. 

The transition from living at home to living at the on-campus apartments at St.Edward’s University is a ordeal in itself, but imagine going from seeing your pet every day to not at all.

The topic of pets often brings up many questions for student residents when they first make the transition to St.Edward’s. Do you ever wish you could bring your dog with you to college? Do you see pets around Austin and wish you could adopt every single one? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you’re not alone. Many students also agree pets should be allowed on campus because they feel their presence is comforting.

“Pets should definitely be allowed on campus,” freshmen Aaron Simmons said. “They’re a source of stress relieve and good companions.”

When asked if she would bring a pet with her next year, she responded “yes, my bunny Lily.” Many freshmen might be in for a big surprise when they come to find pets are a no.

The RAs on campus have a strict policy when it comes to this matter. Sophomore Johnathan Cruz, an RA for the Casa, had little tolerance for this topic when asked if pets should be allowed on campus. “Rooms are too small to have any animal living inside, unless they have a disability.”

The only exception when having an animal is if the student is given permission due to a medical reason. Upon moving into the on-campus apartments, a contract is signed. In this, there is clear writing in black and white prohibiting any kind of animal.

“The possibility of too many different pets would be a problem; for example, one resident might want a snake, but their neighbor might be afraid,” Cruz said.

Ultimately, the RAs all have the same viewpoint on this matter and simply forbid any pets. This brings students to take a different route – a more sneaky way of getting around the system.

Some students have found a way to smuggle pets. An anonymous student, who wishes not to be named, keeps a ferret in their room. The student claims having good intentions – for some company and because it was “cute.” A few students even went over and played with the little guy, but wouldn’t dare tell an RA. Everyone seems to love the little rodent, and wants it to stay. Another student confessed they took their dog from home for two weeks to come stay in Austin. The student kept it in his apartment and took him out on walks at night.

How these students sneak by their own RAs and keep their pets is an unsolved mystery. In the meantime, these rules do not seem to be changing anytime soon. Even with RAs doing random inspections for animals, students still seem to take the risk and keep a pet. Maybe in the future these rules will change, but for now the only way to beat them is to smuggle your animals. Best wishes to the students and may the RAs be ever in your favor.