St. Edward’s study abroad proves practical for every student

Throughout their time at St. Edward’s University, students are encouraged by faculty to seek opportunities to study abroad. But does the university offer enough programs that are practical and interesting to students?

The Office of International Education answers this question with an emphatic “yes.”

Over the years, the office has worked to partner with the International Student Exchange Program and 14 other study abroad programs to offer study options in more than 90 countries.

Students have more than enough choices for study abroad locations.

Programs are offered in various international corners of the world, so students have plenty of options that vary in time length, price and study focuses.

The university even offers options for the type of program. There are three main types: faculty-led, reciprocal exchange and third-party provided travel.

Faculty-led programs usually last for two weeks to a month at the beginning of summer.

Reciprocal exchange programs are similar to foreign exchange programs which last for a semester.

Third-party travel options are most often used when St. Edward’s does not offer a direct program to a particular host country students are interested in. This travel option opens up the opportunity for students to go almost anywhere in the world.

St. Edward’s’ study abroad options are also adequate because they offer opportunities to gain fluency in a new language; if students are uncomfortable taking their classes in this language, they don’t have to.

“In terms of languages, we offer exchanges that require host country language and we also offer those that are entirely in English,” said Director of the Office of International Education, Dr. Holly Carter.

For students interested in attending a foreign nation and studying the courses in the host county’s native language, there may be language prerequisites to ensure the college-level content can be understood.

As far as financial aid is concerned, St. Edward’s does a good job of offering programs that accept it. Most federal financial aid packages can be used as a payment method for these study abroad options, while institutional scholarships through the university can also be used on exchanges and ISEP (What is this? dont throw anagrams with explaining what it means) programs, the Angers program, and also some faculty-led programs.

“There are various scholarships available specifically for study abroad programs based on your major and GPA,” Exchange and Visiting Student Advisor Laura Ray said.

Some of the most popular study abroad locations have been in Spain, France and the United Kingdom; however, more students are also showing an increasing interest in Japan.

Another program being promoted by OIE is in Angers, France.

“The Angers program is a semester long and there is no language requirement. Students can take any level of French during the program. Angers allows student to use St. Edward’s aid and is a program that many of our students find an amazing experience. We send approximately 20 students a semester to Angers,” Director of the Office of International Education Holly Carter said.

The programs are also safe.

“All of these study abroad locations are approved by the Department of State and the U.S. Centers of Disease Control,” Faculty Led Program Student Advisor Mike Merril said.

For students, who are curious about various study abroad options, make an appointment as soon as possible in the Office of International Education, which is located in Moody Hall 102.

“The key for any student with study abroad is to start early, meet with your study abroad advisor, your academic advisor and your financial aid advisor. When students come to us very early we can generally work with them until we can find a program that fits their language skills, financial aid packet, area of study and desired location (or general location),” Carter said.

St. Edward’s University hopes to have students take on their world the OIE hopes students experience their world by finding the perfect study abroad program through one of the many St. Edward’s offers.