St. Edward’s rightly dedicates itself to ‘It’s On Us’ campaign

I like to think that people arrive at their destinations because of a passion that propels them.

By that logic, I also like to think that we all arrived at St. Edward’s University because we believe that our time here should enrich both our minds and souls. We came here not just to evaluate the realities of our world, but to seek solutions with a genuine compassion as well.

These past two summers, I’ve been able to participate in programs with students from other institutions; when they ask me to describe my school, to define what the St. Edward’s experience is like, I find myself recalling my classmates who willingly spend hours of their time organizing AIDS walks, creating homeless fairs and developing programs to empower young girls here in Austin. We have an undeniable sense of purpose here and an unrelenting passion to fulfill whatever role our communities need us to be. 

And that is exactly why I told Kyle Lierman, the White House’s Youth Liasion within the Office of Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affars, that our school would be a national example of how students can discuss, engage and support cultural change through the White House’s It’s on Us Campaign.

St. Edward’s is one of 200 universities that has committed to changing campus culture surrounding sexual assault to include bystander intervention, the recognition that non-consensual sex is sexual assault and an environment that supports survivors.

Any woman who has clenched her keys while walking to her car knows why.  Any freshman who was given pepper spray for high school graduation knows why. And any man who has doubted that his masculinity would be not taken seriously if he were to come forward with any sexual violence committed against him, definitely knows why.

Our generation has clear anecdotal reasons for why we should endeavor to  change our culture. But do we, as a university, know our own “why”?

Men, have you ever asked your female peers why or why not they would feel comfortable coming forward if they were to be sexual assaulted? And women, have you ever asked your  male peers why or why not they would distrust the adjuducation process if they were to be accused? Have we asked each other why we have stood back when we have seen one of our peers go home with someone they were incapable of giving consent to?

Let’s be honest with ourselves: We have not been as critical about these issues as we should be. And that’s our “why.”

If we want to truly take on our world, we must look out for each other first. We must prevent our dorms, our trails, our parking lots and our parties from becoming places where we habitually disempower each other. We must come together as a community to talk about these difficult topics and work to increase awareness.

That’s why the It’s on Us Committee is hosting a townhall meeting with Dean of Students and members of the Title IX Committee this semester. We want to know what you feel and we want to let you know how you can help us achieve meaningful action on this issue.

I believe that we are who we say we are. Some of us wake up at 7 AM every Saturday to provide sandwiches to the homeless, and some of us devote our time and energy to the brotherhood and sisterhood of athletic teams, but all of us seek fulfilling and meaningful experiences. That’s why we are here.

When I told Kyle Lierman that St. Edward’s University would take on the White House’s initiative, I knew we would embrace this challenge with the mindset that we embrace all others with.

“It’s on Us” isn’t just a rallying cry for sexual assault; it’s what we already tell ourselves whenever our passion and compassion force us to act and claim responsibility.