Saudi Arabia’s national team call up St. Edward’s rugby star

A St. Edward’s University student was given that prestigious opportunity from his home country of Saudi Arabia.

There are very few honors higher than being asked to represent a sport at the national level.

Only a select number of individuals have the talent and work ethic to play for their country. Those that do sweat, work and sacrifice most of their lives for the opportunity.

Sophomore Fawaz Alfageeh was selected to play rugby for the Saudi Arabia 7’s National Team. According to Alfageeh, he was picked over the summer by his old coaches in Saudi Arabia to play for the team, but ultimately decided against it. He chose instead to return to St. Edward’s to continue his education.

Recently, a player on the Saudi Arabia team was injured, opening up a spot for Alfageeh to play in the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea. These games will take place later this month. Countries competing include China, Japan and India.

Alfageeh, 28, wanted to attend college in the United States and fell in love with the city of Austin. He joined St. Edward’s last year on an academic scholarship from his home country, but was not eligible to play his first semester on the school’s club rugby team.

Last spring, Alfageeh was officially cleared to join the team. Having played rugby for several years in Saudi Arabia, he had the basic skills required to become a starter as only a freshman.

Alfageeh’s speed quickly became known and earned him the position of winger. With his incredible ability and athleticism, he helped lead the team to the Texas Rugby Union State Championship for the first time in three years.

“It’s a dream come true to play for my country,” Alfageeh said. “I’ve put a lot of hard work into rugby and I’m honored to play for Saudi Arabia.”

Alfageeh is getting great support from his coaches and teammates.

“It’s a huge honor for Fawaz and the St. Edward’s Rugby Club to see him selected to play for his country,” Head Coach Lachian Ferguson said. “We are very excited about this opportunity for him to experience international competition.”

Ferguson went on call Alfageeh an important part of the team and noted that he was deserving of his international selection.

“He was a major part of last year’s record breaking season. He is an outstanding club man and has developed into a reliable team leader,” Ferguson said. “He has worked hard on developing his core skills, particularly his defense. He has dynamic pace and has developed very good instincts while attacking.”

Gaining more experience and developing more skills are what Alfageeh hopes to get out of this experience.

“I’m hoping for a good result, and learning from other good players,” Alfageeh said. “I’m also a bit nervous representing my country in front of so many people, but I will have to focus on my team and playing the game.”

Sophomore teammate Zac Silverman wishes Alfageeh his luck and support.

“Fawaz is such an amazing player, and he truly deserves this honor. It is such an amazing feeling knowing that somebody from the team was called up to represent his own country,” Silverman said.

Alfageeh said he has felt nothing but love and support from his teammates and family.

“My parents have always supported me playing rugby and my teammates have been nothing but fantastic and supportive,” Alfageeh said.

Follow Jacob on Twitter for more!