Student among highest placed at Austin Marathon

Sophmore Chris Jackson came in 21st overall in the 23rd annual Austin Marathon on Feb. 16.

Feb. 16 marked the 23rd annual Austin Marathon. Estimates of about 5,000 participants came out to run the 26.2 mile race, intended to challenge even elite runners. Another 11,000 came out for the half marathon. The course allowed participants to visit some of the most iconic Austin locations, including Lady Bird Johnson Lake, the University of Texas campus and the Texas State Capital. 

Sophomore and marathon runner Chris Jackson ran up to 75 miles a week to prepare for this event.

“I ran the Austin Marathon because I set a difficult goal for myself and I personally motivated myself to reach that goal,” Jackson said.

Beginning in October, with only a couple days off, Jackson followed a strict training regimen created by his high school coach Enrique Henriquez, also a marathon runner. His hard work paid off; He finished the Austin Marathon with a time of 2:49:46, which placed him 21st overall.

However, even those who didn’t train were able to participate in the marathon. Anyone can pay an entry fee to run, or can volunteer to hand out water or cheer runners like Jackson on from the sidelines. Regardless of what you’re there for, the Austin Marathon has something to offer everyone.

“There is a lot of free drinks, cupcakes and live music filling the streets,” Jackson said.

There are even service opportunities offered.

“On the Friday and Saturday before the race there are expos, booths and promotions for brands and fundraising efforts,” Jackson said.

Aside from funding non-profit organizations, the Austin Marathon also offers a cash prize for the runners with the top four fastest times, with the first-place runner receiving $4,000.

This year’s winner was Joseph Mutinda, who gave everything he had to finish the race with a time of 2:14:16. The planning for the 2015 Austin Marathon is already underway, and the date is set for Feb. 15.