Athletic Department offers sports for all levels

If you are reading this, you probably have some interest in sports. Or fitness. Or reading. Read on, my friends. Listed below are some organized on-campus activities for your inner athlete.

NCAA Sports

St. Edward’s is a Division II NCAA school, and varsity teams compete in the Heartland Conference.

The players on these teams are often hand-picked, recruited and signed by their respective coaches, but if you think you have what it takes, there is always the option to walk on to a team.

For fans, the schedule of athletic events is always online at athletics.stedwards.edu, and the list of home and away matches is printed in the Hilltop Views each week.

Teams include: baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, volleyball and softball.

Club Sports

Did you play sports in high school, but did not want to play NCAA? Do you want to try new sports out at a competitive or recreational level? Are you looking for a fun way to get in shape in a competitive atmosphere?

The club sports program at St. Edward’s has grown exponentially over the past four years. Club sports are 100 percent student-run and can provide leadership opportunities for those interested in managing an organization later on down the line. And the best part is, you can always create your own team if you do not like the ones St. Edward’s already has.

Teams include: rugby, men’s and women’s lacrosse, dance, crew, men’s and women’s soccer, ultimate Frisbee, cross country and multicultural dance.

Intramural Sports

Intramural sports offer students a chance to compete against teams and individuals on campus. Make a team with your friends or with strangers and get your game on. With a multitude of sports available, the Intramural program strives to provide sports for everyone to play.

Intramural sports include: soccer, basketball, flag football, dodgeball, volleyball, bowling, Home Run Derby, tennis and racquetball. New sports are added each year.

Fitness Facilities and Programs

If organized sports are not your thing and you want more of a solo workout, there are many facilities on campus for all of your get-fit needs.

St. Edward’s offers programs like personal training and swim lessons, as well as fitness classes through Group XTreme, which offers classes like yoga, kickboxing and zumba.

Facilities include: extensive cardiovascular and weight machines, a six-lane 25-meter indoor pool, four racquetball courts, two full-size basketball courts, a gravel running track, five outdoor tennis courts, an intramural/recreation field and two sand volleyball courts.

Honorable Mention

If organized sports, club sports and recreational fitness aren’t your thing, you can always trek over to Blunn Creek Greenbelt.

Located on St. Edward’s drive behind East Hall, Blunn Creek is a great place to get lost in nature—figuratively, not literally. A quick 30 minute hike will get you to the top of a dormant volcano with a great view of St. Edward’s and the surrounding area.