For your inner bike addict: the top five bike stores in Austin

As bicycles become more popular on campus, students must begin to look for stores in the Austin area for their bicycle needs.

Austin has a vibrant cycling community and a number of bike shops to cater to every type of cyclist. Whether for the casual commuter, the weekend mountain biker or  the intense road cyclists known as ‘roadies,’ here’s a few stores located close to campus that are vastly different.

1.Tsunami Cycles

Address: 2114 South Congress Ave. 

Phone: (512) 448-9725

Though the shop itself is about the size of a closet, Tsunami Cycles is the best place in the 78704 to get a bike serviced. Maintenance is reasonably priced and the mechanics are knowledgeable and personable. 

The store also carries a small selection of inventory, including bicycles, tools, clothing and inner tubes of all sizes that run about 5 bucks a pop. Located next to the bright green vacuum store on South Congress just north of Oltorf, Tsunami Cycles is reliable, rarely crowded and the closest bike store to the Hilltop. Tsunami is also open every day of the week except Tuesday.

2.Bicycle Sport Shop

Address: 517 South Lamar Blvd.

Phone: (512) 477 – 3472

Known as BSS among local cyclists, this local bike shop has three Austin locations and a solid reputation. Also known as the Wal-Mart of local bike shops, the S. Lamar store stocks a sizeable collection of new bicycles in a variety of styles — from road, to hybrid to mountain bikes and even a few women’s specific bike frames.  

BSS is well-stocked and mechanics and employees are friendly, but this place is usually pretty busy so watch out for the weekend crowds. 

The biannual spring and fall closeout sales are also something to watch for every March and October, and the store publishes their entire inventory along with prices online. 

3.Performance Bicycles 

Address: 4040 South Lamar Blvd. Brodie Oaks Shopping Center 

Phone: (512) 879-9570

Tucked away in the Brodie Oaks shopping center near Hobby Lobby off S. Lamar, Performance Bicycles is similar to BSS in that the store carries a ton of bikes, clothing, shoes and a lot of bike parts. Yes, this store is the Austin branch of a national chain but still a good place to buy gear on sale during clearance events. 

Customer service is friendly and the store has a surprisingly large selection of both mountain bike and road bike shoes if you like to clip-in when you ride.

Overall, think BSS with less people and more of a corporate feel, but still a solid bike store if you are looking for a wide selection of gear, bike parts, bikes, and clothing.

4.BikeAlot

Address: 4418 Pack Saddle Pass Austin

Phone: (512) 916-8574

This local bike shop carries a little bit of everything — pretty much every bicycle part anyone could ever want. BikeAlot also specializes in commuter bikes, provides custom builds and repairs. Located off of Packsaddle Pass and Ben White across the highway from Target. 

5.Mellow Johnny’s

Address: 400 Nueces St. 

Phone: (512) 473-0222

Owned by Lance Armstrong, this trendy bike shop carries mostly high-end bicycles, equipment and apparel. The low-end of the price range averages at about $1000, well worth it but definitely a splurge.  Even so, Mellow Johnny’s is still a fun place to go to just to browse or grab a drink at Juan Pelota, the in-store coffee shop. The store also sells t-shirts for bike geeks and those willing to sport the name of Armstrong’s bike shop on their chest for $20-30 a shirt.