Course on Beyoncé would benefit students of various majors

Beyonce Knowles dons drop earrings arrives at the 77th Annual Academy Awards at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, California, February 27, 2005. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

With all due respect, one course was tragically missing from the spring 2013 undergraduate course listings.

A course that should be required at St. Edward’s University is “Snatchin’ Wigs: The History and Evolution of Beyoncé Gisele Knowles.”

This class would fulfill numerous required and elective courses on campus. Without further ado, here are four reasons why this course is the best hypothetical class ever.

First and foremost, every student in any discipline could take this course.

Oh, you need to fulfill an elective for physics? How about you study the physics of the “Single Ladies” and “Run the World (Girls)” videos.

English Writing and Rhetoric major? Well, Beyoncé added a new word to Webster’s Dictionary.

Economics major? You should study the steady progression of every album’s record sales then compare them to the sales of every other pop icon.

Did you recently change your major to religious studies? A very valid argument could be made that Beyoncé’s Sasha Fierce Tour was a religious experience.

Every major in the school could study an aspect of The Queen B’s career and life.

Secondly, this course can also be created as any one of the Cultural Foundations courses.

Consider all five Cultural Foundations courses required at St. Edward’s University. There is Understanding and Appreciating the Arts, Literature and the Human Experience, American Experience, American Dilemmas, History and Evolution of the Global Process, and Contemporary World Issues.

All four of Beyoncé’s albums are pure art. Maybe some people need an entire course to help them appreciate and understand their majesty.

Beyoncé is both an American experience and a global icon. Studying her influence on global culture would be an exciting course.

For example, a student could write his or her American Dilemmas paper on whether or not piracy laws are legal and/or effective.

By using Beyoncé as the overarching example, students could effectively write an essay presenting both sides of the argument.

Also, the history and evolution of Beyoncé as a worldwide phenomena is the embodiment of the CULF 3330 course.

Thirdly, Beyoncé as an artist fits in with the university’s global initiative. St. Edward’s has branded itself as a school that is globally conscious.

Whether pursuing service opportunities or academia, St. Edward’s students are pushed to study abroad to gain a global perspective.

The university has almost a dozen sister schools around the world. Undoubtedly, Beyoncé is not only a global icon, but also a citizen of the world. Her global presence is perfectly congruent to the mission of this university.

Finally, a class like this has been successfully implemented before. Rutgers University offered a class on Beyoncé titled “Feminist Perspectives: Politicizing Beyoncé.”

Time Magazine even ran an article about the course. Imagine The New York Times publishing an article about how a small private school in Austin is offering a religious studies course focusing on Beyoncé? This would only bring publicity to the university.

Any argument that attempts to deny the benefits of Snatchin’ Wigs: The History and Evolution of Beyoncé Gisele Knowles needs to go to the left.