Top five television shows that should not have been cancelled

(L.A. TIMES OUT) (September 19) LOS ANGELES, CA — Jessica Walters, of “Arrested Development,” arrives at the 56th Annual Emmy Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, on Sunday, September 19, 2004. (nk) 2004

Of all the new television shows that premier each year, only a few get picked up for subsequent seasons. Ordinarily, the shows that get cancelled were not that good in the first place. Sometimes, the wrong show gets cancelled. After a being put on hiatus in early 2012, NBC comedy “Community” is scheduled to premier again in Feb. 2013. Here are the top five more shows that should have never been cancelled in the first place:

5. How To Make It In America (2010-2011)

“How To Make It In America” was an HBO original show that tried to capture the wide-eyed bravado of the hipster generation. Although the show only lasted two seasons, it was not a failure.

In the show, main characters Ben and Cam scour the underbelly of New York City desperately trying to launch their own fashion line. Each episode, Ben and Cam make one mistake after another all in the name of the American Dream.

Even though it was a critical success, “How To Make It In America” was not a profitable hit for HBO. 

4. Pushing Daisies  (2007-2009)

“Pushing Daisies” was one of those special television series that does not come around often, but when it does, people pay attention. It starred Lee Pace as a pie maker named Ned who could bring people back to the life by touching them.

For the brief period it was on ABC, “Pushing Daisies” was the perfect combination of humor and real-life dilemmas. 

Quirky, fast-paced wit is alive and well, so it would make sense to bring “Pushing Daisies” back from the dead.

3. Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)

“Freaks and Geeks” was a teen comedy-drama that followed siblings Lindsay and Sam Weir, who respectively were the freak and the geek, and their friends through one awkward, hilarious year of their high school career, from 1980 to 1981. The show was produced by Judd Apatow and starred James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel, among other future stars.

Despite gaining a cult following, “Freaks and Geeks” was cancelled after 12 episodes. 

“Freaks and Geeks” was one of TV’s wittiest portraits of high school life.

2. My So-Called Life (1994-1995)

“My So-Called Life” starred Claire Danes in her breakthrough role as 90s high schooler, Angela Chase. The show follows Chase and her kooky best friends through the plights of high school.

An undeniable product of the 90s, Chase seemingly crawled out of a grunge music video, dancing around her room to the Violent Femmes free from her tortuous lust for Jordan Catalano.

And like any 90s teen, she pondered why everyone around her was so phony. 

Bringing “My So-Called Life” back now might seem anachronistic, but, honestly, the 90s are in and angsty high school drama never goes out of style.

1. Arrested Development (2003-2006)

“Arrested Development” aired at the right time in the wrong place. A seemingly perfect parody of post 9-11 life in America, the quirky and complex sitcom followed the once-prosperous Bluth family after the family company fell apart.

“Arrested Development” featured established actors like Jason Bateman and narrator Ron Howard, and it also gave rise to Michael Cera, who got his start playing George Michael Bluth. 

The show was cancelled after three seasons due to chronically low ratings, despite critical acclaim. 

After years of rumors that an “Arrested Development” movie was in the works, “Arrested Development” is returning in 2013 for a special season on Netflix. While this is some consolation, an online exclusive is no replacement for the real thing.