Paralympian puts Hilltoppers en garde

Imagine being crippled by a horrible motorcycle accident and suffering permanent leg damage. This is the case with Dr. Gary Van der Wege, who, in addition to being an adjunct faculty member at St. Edward’s University, was on the U.S. fencing team that competed in the 2012 Summer Paralympic Games in London.

Van der Wege, 60, was born in Kalamazoo, Mich. and became passionate about the sport during his younger years. He began teaching at St. Edward’s in 1990 as technical director and guest designer at the Mary Moody Northen Theater for a number of years. Ultimately, he became serious about competing after his accident in 2000, when he was qualified as disabled and landed a spot on the United States Olympic team during the games in Athens. After retiring from international competition in 2004 to focus on coaching and officiating, he tried to make a comeback in the London games this past summer.

When asked whether he won any medals, the good-humored fencing coach smiled and said, “Is there a gold medal for Mr. Congeniality?”

Along with being a talented Paralympian, Van der Wege wins the gold for being a fantastic teacher. “I really enjoy his classes,” junior Bethany Cuenod said, a former student of Van der Wege. “How often do you get to take such interesting classes such as fencing just for fun? It’s an entertaining class because you get to practice with a foil in hand and step out of your comfort zone.” In addition to this, students earn course credits for physical education.

“The fencing class was originally offered as a topic in theater class,” Van der Wege said. “Fortunately, the department appreciated that the class really was great training for actors. It is . . . something that makes you learn how to move your body in space and solve problems in a fraction of a second.”

As a teacher, he loves to share what he notes as the “mysterious sport” of fencing with those who are interested. “It’s tricky teaching something that has a preconceived image of ninjas and people swinging from chandeliers,” Van der Wege said.

“I think it’s inspiring,” Cuenod said. “It’s not every day that someone goes to the Olympics—let alone going to the Olympics, getting injured and not being able to compete—[and finds] an outlet that allows them to continue in the sport they enjoy and compete on a world level with it. What’s more inspiring than doing what you love despite adversity?”

A hero to his students and a Paralympian, it is hard not to make a comparison between Mr. Van der Wege and a modern-day Superman. This version of Clark Kent even adheres to the global perspective and understanding of the St. Edward’s mission statement. “Being in the Athlete’s Village with a sampling of every place on the globe is incredible. The simple act of swapping pins with athletes from Iran, Russia, Jordan and Palestine makes you realize how we all have a lot in common after all,” Van der Wege said.

An inspiration to his students and those who wish to overcome their handicaps to achieve greatness, Van der Wege serves as an example to never give up, no matter what the circumstances.