Survey says! Expand Group X

Senior psychology major Alice Adams was a lifeguard for the campus pool her sophomore year when she and Campus Recreation Director Andy Lemons decided to create St. Edward’s University’s first group fitness class, Zumba.

Adams, who attended a performing arts high school, has always loved dancing. She was tired of working out at the gym every day and decided to change her fitness routine by trying a Zumba dance class at a local fitness center.

Her love for Zumba grew, and when she approached Lemons about teaching a class starting in fall 2010, he agreed. Adams then earned her group exercise certification for Zumba from the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America.

That fall, the Zumba class became a popular recreational activity for students around campus. Later, Yoga, Boot Camp, Abs & Toning and Kickboxing all became part of Campus Recreation’s new group fitness program.  

“When I first started here in 2009, we had intramural sports run by off-season coaches and three club sports. There was never anybody to oversee campus recreation,” said Lemons.

When Lemons was named the new Campus Recreation Director, he distributed a survey among students during the spring 2010 semester asking them what they wanted to see change with campus recreation.

“The number one thing students said they were interested in were group fitness classes,” Lemons said.

The student’s response to the GroupX program during 2010-2011 is what prompted the program’s expansion this year. GroupX is very similar to the fitness program that was offered last year, though students can now take up to 11-12 classes a week, but with an additional cost.

“We needed to make sure that we were financially responsible. The budget of campus recreation is probably going to change every year,” Lemons said.

To cover Campus Recreation’s fluctuating budget, students were asked to pay $25.00 to get a pass that would allow them to attend any class for the whole semester.

At first, Lemons was wary of charging students.

“I was afraid of a back-kick, but the numbers are higher than they were last year. We are averaging 33 students per class,” Lemons said.   

Sophomore Katie Heim started attending group fitness classes as a freshman. This year, she still attends classes even though the price has changed.

“Fitness classes at regular gyms cost so much more. [St. Edward’s] offers multiple classes for just $25, which is so much cheaper,” Heim said.

Students were able to try out the classes for free during the first two weeks of school before deciding to pay $25.00 for a pass. Lemons believes that the cost of the program is worth the price, considering local

Austin gym memberships such as 24 Hour Fitness can cost up to $200.00.

“We tried to keep it at a number that was reasonable,” Lemons said.

The expanded GroupX program may only be in its fourth week of running, but it seems like it will stay around campus for a while. Lemons believes its success has a lot to do with the instructors who teach the classes.

“Alice’s enthusiasm has been amazing. She’s always out spreading the word about her class,” Lemons said.

In addition to Zumba, Adams teaches Kickboxing and Abs & Toning. Lemons also had good things to say about the other yoga instructor, Stacey Mietus, and boot camp instructor Melissa Robinson.

“Our instructors are what make the program run,” Lemons said.