Men’s tennis wins, women’s team falters

St. Edward’s University’s men’s and women’s tennis teams competed in the Heartland Conference Tournament in Dallas on April 21-22. The sixth-ranked men’s tennis team won the tournament for the third-straight year and will advance to the NCAA Sweet 16, while the 24th-ranked women’s tennis team ended its 2010-2011 season with one win and one loss at the tournament.

Men’s Tennis

St. Edward’s men’s tennis defeated Dallas Baptist University 5-0 on April 21 and Newman University 7-1 April 22 to become Heartland Conference Champions for the third consecutive year.

The team’s victory guaranteed the team a spot in the South Central Regional, and St. Edward’s hosted the match on May 1 at Penick-Allison Tennis Center at the University of Texas. St. Edward’s defeated Northwest Missouri State 6-1, earning the title of South Central Regional Champions.

After the win on Sunday, St. Edward’s men’s tennis will compete in the NCAA Sweet 16 in Altamonte Springs, Fla., for the fifth time in six seasons.

The Hilltoppers finished the regular season ranked sixth nationally by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association and ranked first in the South Central Region.

The men’s tennis team was honored with several awards and achievements in the Heartland Conference. From an individual standpoint, senior Mick Walter, juniors Ned Boone and Ryan Wiggins, and freshmen James Rogers, Alexandre Bueno and Pedro Bronstrup were chosen for the All-Conference team. St. Edward’s swept the individual awards after Boone was named Player of the Year, Walter was named Senior of the Year, Bronstrup was named Freshman of the Year, and Russell Sterns was named Head Coach of the Year.

St. Edward’s will be back in action May 11-14 when they head to the NCAA Sweet 16 at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.

Women’s Tennis

After a 6-0 win against St. Mary’s University on April 21, St. Edward’s women’s tennis team was defeated 4-5 in a tough battle on April 22 against Dallas Baptist University, the host team for the tournament. In doubles play, the Hilltoppers got a win from the pair of juniors Audrey Tompkins and Mary Bain when they beat their opponent 8-4. In singles play, the Hilltoppers got wins from sophomore Paige Rachel, junior Audrey Tompkins, and junior Mary Bain. The win marked Tompkins seventh-straight victory.

The Hilltoppers had four players named to the All-Conference team including freshman Caroline Fahnehjelm, Rachel, Tompkins, and Bain.

Women’s tennis was not selected to compete in the NCAA South Central Regional. Despite losses at the tournament, all four players named to the All-Conference team will be back on the courts next season.

Women’s tennis finished the season ranked fourth out of eight teams in the South Central region and 24th in the nation for Division II tennis teams with an overall record of 8-10.