Relay for Life celebrates cancer survivors, raises ACS funds

Sophomore Paloma Reinoso with Mike Thompson.

A student organization hosted a 12-hour relay at St. Edward’s University to honor cancer survivors and raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Planned by the student group Colleges Against Cancer, this was the first Relay for Life event held at St. Edward’s. The relay lasted the entire night, starting at 7 p.m. on April 15 and ending at 7 a.m. the next day.

The itinerary included a ribbon-making contest, face painting, henna, a frozen T-shirt contest, musical chairs, Red Rover, towel volleyball, charades, Twister, a three-legged run and a marshmallow eating contest.

Food was also provided throughout the night, and participants were entertained by a live music performance.

Sixteen teams participated in the event, with 101 participants total. Sophomores Paloma Reinoso and Matt Perez coordinated the fundraising event.

Cancer survivors were encouraged to be a part of the event.

“It’s one of those events that really brings the community together,” senior Regina Portillo Alexander said.

According to the American Cancer Society website, Relay for Life is dedicated to cancer survivors. Every Relay starts with a survivor lap, in which survivors walk a lap and are applauded by everyone there. The idea is to celebrate what cancer survivors have overcome.

Senior Noor Mahmoud was a part of the Science League group for the event.

“My favorite part of Relay for Life was watching the cancer survivors walk the first lap of the night,” Mahmoud said. “The thought of them having had cancer but persevering through it motivated me and put a lot of things in my life into perspective. Moments like that make you value life and appreciate things much more.”

The Luminaria Ceremony is an important aspect to Relay for Life. In this ceremony, participants light glow sticks to honor both those who survived cancer and those who have died from it.

Four-time cancer survivor Mike Thompson spoke at the ceremony. According to an article in “Austin Fit” magazine, Thompson was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, a rare form of blood cancer found in children, when he was 10 years old. Since 1995, he has had 76 operations, including two bone marrow transplants and a facial reconstruction surgery that replaced part of his jawbone.

Thompson is involved with Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program, which offers free coaching, training, nutrition clinics and equipment for athletes competing in high-endurance events. The foundation’s primary goal of is to raise money for blood cancer research and patient care.

Freshman Vanessa Neutzler participated in the Relay for Life with the Science League group, said she had personal reasons for participating.

“The Relay for Life foundation is very important to me because both my parents have had cancer, and I have several other friends and family members who have suffered from the disease,” Neutzler said. “I have known about this disease since I was 8 years old, and though I have never had the disease, I have seen others suffer and I know just how important these Relay for Life walks are.”

Junior Goldie DaCosta said she was walking for her friend, who was recently diagnosed with leukemia.”

“She’s one of the strongest people I know and one of my greatest inspirations,” DaCosta said.

The event raised a total of $3,844 for the American Cancer Society.