Hilltopper athletes participate in numerous service projects

The volleyball team bought gifts together for the Salvation Army Forgotten Angel project.

Student athletes on campus are working to exhibit St. Edward’s University values by taking time out of their hectic schedules to volunteer for organizations around Austin.

The Student Athlete Advisory Council planned several service projects this semester. Among them were visits to the Phoenix House drug abuse treatment center, Gardener Betts Juvenile Detention Center and the Helping Hand Children’s Home, where they hosted events for kids and young adults.

St. Edward’s women’s basketball player and junior Brittany Ward is involved in planning and carrying out these projects. She said she is emotionally touched by the appreciation the children have for the athletes’ services.

“It means a lot to me that they know our names, ask us when we’re coming back, and tell us how much it means to them for us to be there,” Ward said.

A group of student athletes hosted the Teeny Topper Olympics for the Helping Hand Children’s Home. It consisted of four to five 20-minute stations where the children learn skills from different sports including football, soccer and softball.

The student athletes also held games of Matball for the Gardener Betts Juvenile Detention Center. Matball is baseball-like game played in the gym and modified to fit the rules and regulation of the detention center, Ward said.

After the activities, student athletes took questions from the invited group about college or any inquiry about life. They also handed out certificates to the participants.

The newest project SAAC is working on is a three-on-three basketball tournament to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Last year SAAC and student athletes hosted a indoor soccer tournament and raised over $1,600 for the foundation.

SAAC is seeking three-to-five member teams to join either the all-men’s or co-ed league for the tournament. The entry fee of $5 includes a T-shirt and the chance to win prizes.

The tournament will take place during the first weekend in April and is open to all members of the university community, but non-members can be included in teams, according to junior soccer player Bethany Bennett.

Student athletes will also be selling dollar stars in Ragsdale Center to benefit Make-A-Wish.

Bennett, a member of SAAC, is one of the students that is selling stars for charity. She says that helping others is a sure way to put a smile on her face.

“Community service is important to me because I feel like giving back to the community is a great way to fully appreciate the things life has blessed you with,” Bennett said. “It definitely contributes to a person being well-rounded and truly makes a difference in the world. It provides me with so much joy knowing that I might have been a part of making someone’s day a little brighter.”

Although projects are not mandatory, student athletes are encouraged to participate in projects, and often coaches will set hourly requirements to help motivate their teams to participate.

“I truly believe [volunteering] is a vital and essential part of life,” Ward said. “It means so much to touch just one life of someone in need. And, who knows, you just may be the one person they needed to support them to get their life on track.”