Tennis teams ready to swing

The St. Edward’s University men’s and women’s tennis teams are back on the court preparing for their spring seasons.

The men and women’steams have competed in two tournaments so far, the first collegiate match play for new players on both teams. Men’s Tennis

The Hilltoppers took to the courts for the first time this fall with four new freshman international players at the UTSA/ITA South Central region tournament in Maryvill, Mo. from Sept. 24-26.

“We do have a lot of young talent,” senior Mick Walter said.

Walter and freshman James Rogers advanced to the round of 16 in singles, but they both lost to opponents that went on to play in the tournament finals.

“We had a real good result…we did good as a team,” Walter said.

Walter and doubles partner junior Ned Boone competed against Hans Hach and Bryan Joiner of Abilene Christian University in the men’s doubles championship. The pair took home second place.

After winning its second-consecutive Heartland Conference Championship last season, men’s tennis advanced to the Elite Eight Round of the NCAA Division II tournament in June, losing to Concordia in a 5-1 decision.

“It’s the best the program has ever done,” Walter said. “We’re hoping to build off that.”

The men are back in action on Oct. 14 when they travel to Mobile, Ala., to compete in the Small College Tournament.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis has competed in two tournaments so far this fall: the UTSA/ITA South Central Region championship tournament and the Stephen F. Austin Fall Invitational.

The team returned six players and added two new freshmen to this year’s roster.

In the USTA/ITA South Central Region championship tournament hosted by Abilene Christian University, sophomore Paige Rachel advanced to the quarterfinals in singles play. Rachel eventually lost to No. 3 seed Amanda Moberg, 6-2, 6-1.

In doubles action, Rachel and doubles partner Audrey Tompkins went on to the semifinals, ultimately losing to Moberg and partner Puckhaber, 6-3, 6-2.

The Hilltoppers also traveled to Nacogdoches for the SFA Fall Invitational on Oct. 2-3. The SFA Fall Invitational was a Division I tournament and did not count toward the team rankings.

Even so, the Hilltoppers gained experience playing against NCAA Division I opponents.

“We’ve worked on individual rankings to help contribute to the team’s spring rankings,” junior Heather Brien said.

Women’s tennis will next participate in Texas State Play Day at Texas State University in San Marcos on Oct. 16.