Men and women’s golf teams already swing strong

The St. Edward’s University golf teams are looking to build on last year’s success.

Both men and women’s teams have competed in two tournaments in their fall season so far this semester.

Men’s golf

The men’s golf team ended last season ranked 23rd, winning three tournaments and finishing in the top five in eight events.

They started their fall season tied for 20th in the nation by the Golf World/Nike Preseason Coaches’ Poll. As of Sept. 22, they were ranked 10th according to Golfstat Head-to-Head rankings.

In August, they were also named all-academic by the Gold Coaches Association of America.

Their first tournament this fall, the Charles Coody Classic, was held Sept. 13-14 in Abilene, Texas.

After ending day one tied for third shooting four under par, the Hilltoppers ended the tournament in sixth place after shooting 13 over par.

Senior Mitch Cahill led the Hilltoppers shooting par and tying in 17th place. Freshman Daniel Northington placed second among the Hilltoppers and tied for 25th in the tournament by shooting two over par in his first collegiate appearance.

Men’s golf placed sixth again, tying Northeastern State in their second tournament, the Northeastern State Golf Classic held Sept. 20-21. As a team, they shot 14 over par.

Cahill again led the Hilltoppers, shooting four-over par and tying for 28th place.

Their next tournament is the MGA Division II Midwest/South Central Regional Oct. 12-13 in Jefferson City, Mo.

Women’s golf

Last season, women’s golf placed in the top five of nine events and won two tournaments, including the Heartland Conference Tournament. They then advanced to the NCAA West Regional for the fifth year in a row.

They started their fall season ranked 11th in the nation. They have since moved up to seventh, the highest St. Edward’s women’s golf has ever ranked.

Their first tournament this season was the Drury Fall Shootout Sept. 13-14. The team placed second out of 20.

At the end of the first day, they were in first place with a team score of 20 over par, eight points ahead of second place Dallas Baptist University, but after constant rain the second day, they fell seven points behind final first place, Nebraska-Omaha.

Sophomore Wallis Spears led the Hilltoppers, shooting six-over par in the two-day tournament and tying for second place.

“We have had a couple slip ups but if one player fell down we all kind of picked it up and were able to post good numbers,” sophomore Jacy Benites said.

Their second tournament was the Sonoma State Women’s Invitational Sept. 20-21. The Hilltoppers placed third out of nine shooting a total 61-over par.

Spears again led the Hilltoppers, shooting 10-over and placing seventh.

Benites was second among the Hilltoppers and tied for 14th place in the tournament  by shooting 18-over par.

Their next tournament is the Central Oklahoma Classic Oct. 4-5.

“We know where we stand and our potential,” Benites said. “We are a good team and know we can go far.”