Presidential Award applications ready

The Presidential Award winners are displayed in Ragsdale.

Every year, up to 12 St. Edward’s University students earn a Presidential Award.  A majority of students on campus, however, don’t know who qualifies for these awards or how to apply.

Only students graduating in August 2009, December 2009 and May 2010 from the undergraduate, graduate, or New College programs may apply.  

“Applicants must embody the principles of the Holy Cross traditions,” said Peter Erickson, award committee chairman. “Award recipients are folks that really represent the mission of the University.”

In addition, applicants must have demonstrated excellence in leadership, scholarship, and service to the university and the Austin community.  

“It must be this combination of things,” said Erickson.  “A student can have a 4.0 GPA and not get this award.  That’s why the GPA requirement is 3.0, which is still a good GPA.  We want someone who has made strides in all three areas.”

Scholarship refers not only to GPA but also to the degree of a student’s involvement in his/her own education, such as attendance of Kozmetsky Center events.   

“This award recognizes someone who is very, very well-rounded,” Erickson said. “That’s what makes the award so special—it’s very holistic.”

Students must first be nominated by a member of faculty or staff, by a peer, or by themselves.  Nominations begin Oct. 1 and end Oct. 30. Nominations must be completed online. An e-mail will be sent notifying students of their nomination and outlining the nomination criteria.  If they meet this criteria, students should arrange to meet with Erickson so that he can go over the application process with them.

The application packet includes forms for students to fill out regarding  personal information, recommendations,  community service, volunteer activities, leadership, jobs, internships, honors and awards, among others.  

The application also requires the completion of an original essay.  Application packets must be turned in to the Student Life Office, Ragsdale 304, by Jan. 13, 2010 at 5 p.m.

The Presidential Awards Committee, composed of faculty, staff and students, will meet to study the applications.  This committee meets about three hours a week beginning in the spring.  

After all applications have been considered, the committee will decide upon the recipients, which may be up to 12 students.

Presidential Award recipients get a glass-encased certificate signed by President George Martin and individual acknowledgment on Honor’s Night by Martin, including comments on the recipients’ accomplishments.  This is one of the highest awards that a student can receive at St. Edward’s.

“The fact that the Presidential Awards are rooted in students’ demonstrated commitment to our Holy Cross heritage and to the university’s mission strongly appeals to me,”  said Bill Quinn, professor of Natural Sciences. “Academic performance and service both play strong roles in the award process and that is as it should be.”

Quinn regularly writes letters of recommendations for students for the awards.

“The awards give us the opportunity to recognize and showcase the kinds of qualities that we hope students develop through their experiences at St. Edward’s,” Quinn said.

But even with the showcase, the awards have sometimes gone unnoticed.

“I didn’t really know anything about them,” said Kelsey Howell, a sophomore.

Last year’s recipients were Jessica Bair, Alexander Bargioni, Kristen Dempsey, Sarah Elsey, Ruby Ganal-Burke, Matthew Hines, Alicia Jones, Antonio Martinez, Nigel O’Hearn, Benjamin Palmer, and Glenn Trujillo Jr.

Jessica Bair earned her BA in Psychology.  She volunteered extensively as a peer educator and led a campaign through Boosting Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students.  She was a sexual assault education coordinator, an alcohol skills training coordinator, a domestic violence program coordinator, and a peer theatre assistant director.

Matthew Hines, who graduated last spring as class valedictorian, double majored in Religious Studies and English Writing and Rhetoric. He volunteered with the Egg Ministry serving breakfast to the homeless, volunteered as an actor and musical director for the Transit Theatre Troupe, founded a weekly poetry group, “Poetry on the Garage,” and was published in the university’s Sorin Oak Review and Arete.  

Prior to 1986, Man and Woman of the Year awards were given, in which the committee had to decide upon one man and one woman whom they felt most encompassed the values of the university.  In the spring of 1986, Presidential Awards were given to distinguished applicants who did not win the position of Man or Woman of the Year.  With a growing student body population, the university felt more students deserved to be recognized.

In 1989, the decision was made to eliminate the Man and Woman of the Year awards and entirely replace them with the Presidential Awards. As the number of applicants increased and students became more involved, committee members found it increasingly difficult to decide on one best male and female. With such varied accomplishments, it could no longer be done.  The Presidential Awards allowed committee members to recognize a greater number and variety of students.

Students with questions about the Presidential Awards or the application process should contact Pete Erickson at 512.464.8821 or visit the Presidential Awards Web page at www.stedwards.edu/stulife/pres_awards/faq.htm.