Students jam out to “Musicians on the Lawn” hosted by UPB and Reslife

Students+Evan+Autin+and+Ian+Clennan+performed+together+for+University+Programming+Board+and+Resident+Life%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CMusicians+on+the+Lawn%E2%80%9D++last+Monday.+Clennan+played+the+drums+while+Autin+was+lead+vocals+and+guitar.+

Claire Lawrence / Hilltop Views

Students Evan Autin and Ian Clennan performed together for University Programming Board and Resident Life’s “Musicians on the Lawn” last Monday. Clennan played the drums while Autin was lead vocals and guitar.

The sound of live music echoes throughout the courtyard, bouncing off walls of the apartment building and carrying up and down campus. Guitar, drums and vocals mix together amusingly as students gather on the grass to listen in.

The University Programming Board (UPB) and Resident Life (Reslife) held their second Musicians on the Lawn on Oct. 11 and plans to continue the occasion throughout the semester. Musicians on the Lawn consists of student musicians from St. Edward’s who set up gigs on the St. Andre courtyard and play to those interested in listening. The event usually takes place from 4-6 p.m.

Since the beginning of the semester, the university has implemented several new events for students to participate in as a way to bring normalcy back to campus life. UPB and Reslife often collaborate to bring events like Musicians on the Lawn alive.

For this last event, sophomores Evan Autin and Ian Clennan banded together to play as a duo. With Autin on vocals and lead guitar and Clennan on the drums, they sang an array of indie and alternative rock songs everyone was bound to enjoy.

“I think it went really well,” Autin said. “It was a 25-song setlist. We played a mixture of jamming songs we could just solo for a long time on and some funk songs.”

Autin said all he had to do to be considered as a musician was ask previous bands and the event hosts from UPB about the next steps and encourages anyone else who is interested to do the same.

“We’d be down to play [musicians on the lawn] again,” Clennan said. “The ability to actually bring my kit out and play is really nice. It is great we are finally getting to a point where we can offer events like this. We get to connect with people.”

Many St. Andre residents don’t even have to leave the comfort of their rooms to enjoy the show. For those facing the lawn, a view of the musicians is easily accessible. Anyone who is interested in sitting on the lawn in front of the stage can do so without a reservation. Chairs are set up far enough away from the band so musicians can perform mask-free, though attendees are encouraged to wear masks.