Sophomore star leading team in points scored

The men’s basketball team is currently tied for second place in the Heartland Conference, after being picked to finish ninth in a preseason poll.

There are many key players that attribute to their wins and their style of play, however, from Niagara Falls, N.Y., sophomore Ramir Burton is at the forefront. 

He is currently leading the team in scoring and second in minutes played.

Burton has played basketball since he was seven years old. He began playing in Biddy League basketball at the Boys and Girls Club in his hometown.

At first, he joined just to play a sport. Then at 11, he realized he had a better grip of the game than others. In high school, Burton played on the varsity team and was able to go to Orlando, Fla. for a national basketball tournament. 

It was then that he realized he was continuing to improve and the level of play was becoming more competitive.

Burton loved playing basketball so much, he even trudged through deep snow to play.

“I remember walking to the YMCA and 13th street gym in the freezing cold in snow that comes up to your knees to play pickup basketball,” Burton said. “I’d workout every day from the time I was in middle school until I graduated from high school.”

For some, basketball is just a game, but for Burton, it was a way out.

“I saw it as an opportunity to pay for my college and not have my mom or other family members have to pay for me to go to college,” he said.

Burton chose St. Edward’s University out of all of his offers from Division II basketball programs from around the country and enjoys playing with his teammates because they’ve become like family.

“We all have each others back’s at the end of the day, and that’s why we have been able to accomplish a lot this year,” he said.

Burton is very grateful for the opportunity he has here at St. Edwards. 

“(It’s let) me know people from my coaches, teammates and athletic faculty … would never put me in a position to fail,” he said.

The St. Edward’s men’s basketball team has two remaining games in the regular season and are currently tied for second place.