Women’s basketball, Wheeler off to hot start in new season

St. Edward’s University women’s basketball tipped off their new season Nov. 8 and are currently 7-1 after a recent overtime loss to Fort Lewis. This year’s team looks to make a deep run in playoffs and contend for the Heartland Conference championship.

Junior guard Maddie Wheeler believes that the difference between this year’s team and the team her freshman year is that this year’s squad is more “dynamic.” With the return of Wheeler, who is coming off an ACL injury that sidelined her for most of last season, the Hilltoppers look to improve on last year’s 13-14 record.

After winning only four games in 2011-2012, the women have already won seven of their first eight games this season. With a renewed determination and willingness to get back on the court, Wheeler leads the team with 16.0 points per game and has contributed to a winning atmosphere. With the help of the training staff and head coach J.J. Riehl, Wheeler is finally healthy and ready to help her team through any challenges that might occur.

The challenge for this year’s team is to remain healthy and to successfully integrate the incoming freshman and transfer students. With an experienced team, the acclimation process for freshman guards Mileka Loydrake and Casey Riley will be much easier.

These freshmen, along with transfers like junior forward Kathleen Brisbane, will be able to contribute to an already well-balanced team. As an experienced player, Wheeler will be able to help incoming players get used to a new style of basketball.

“Motivation, going to the study hall as a team and having good surroundings helped me stay well-rounded as a student athlete,” Wheeler said.

Wheeler hopes this motivation will spread throughout the team, and is also setting her own personal goals.

“I want to increase my average in steals and get my assists up,” Wheeler said.

Her strong work ethic and dedication to improving her game has only helped the team progress. Having dealt with past obstacles like her ACL injury, Wheeler is prepared to face any challenge the Hilltoppers may meet this season.

With a team that is willing to lay it all on the line, the women look to be a real threat in the Heartland. An increase in overall talent and a balanced attack featuring threats from every position has the Hilltoppers shooting for postseason basketball.