New student-run radio station aims for variety, accessibility

Topper Radio will include music, sports and other features.

2013 is the year when students can finally experience the long-awaited launch of the brand new Topper Radio. Made by Hilltoppers themselves, Topper Radio is an innovative Internet radio station that will consist of various amounts of content, including music, sports, St. Edward’s University news and stories and much more student information. Launch Week is just around the corner and the staff is very eager to release their hard work to the campus.

Topper Radio began as a “wacky and ambiguous idea,” according to co-founder Austin Marshall. During freshman year, Marshall and fellow classmate Nathalie Phan developed the foundation of Topper Radio through written structured plans, rigorous Student Life proposals and, most importantly, an immense amount of determination and passion.

The successful founders of the station later elaborated about how far they have come from having this lesser idea turn into a fully-functional student organization. Once the board became official and Topper Radio hired plenty of passionate staff members, Marshall and Phan completely focused on Launch Week during this month to promote the station.

The mission of Topper Radio began as a passion for student communication through digital media, according to the co-founders. Although only consisting of one physical station on the website, Topper Radio will include a variety of different content for Hilltop listeners. This will include plenty of music shows, run by the musically passionate producers and general staff. Shows that detail student information, including school events and sports, will also be showcased in Topper Radio.

“I love to think of Topper Radio as a station for the students, by the students. With our station’s variety and diversity, Topper Radio is accessible to anyone,” Marshall said.

“Accessible” is the key word for the mission of Topper Radio. In order for the station to reach across the campus at SEU, the staff developed a diverse plan that virtually every student can connect to. Not only does Topper Radio have its very own website, but Technology Coordinator and fellow Hilltopper Kenneth Funk is currently “cooking up” the official Topper Radio App. The website and app will be available to all students come Launch Week, and promotions regarding the station will be scattered throughout campus. 

Although Topper Radio is already filled with wonderful staff members who are just as passionate and eager for their hard work to be launched, both Marshall and Phan took the time to promote their warm welcoming and call for any Hilltoppers who are interested in becoming a part of the team.

“We want you!” Marshall said before elaborating that students can range from performing live DJ sets to running their own weekly station once they become part of the staff.

Topper Radio can be contacted through their social media sites, including Twitter, Facebook and their tumblr website.  The Launch Week begins Wednesday, Sept. 25 on the Ragsdale Lawn, which will feature plenty of information regarding the station.