12 Ultimate Frisbee Tournament NOT RUNNING

St. Edward’s boasts a long list of student-run organizations who do a lot of good for not only our on-campus community, but for the community at large. On Dec. 1, the Congressmen Ultimate frisbee club and Autism Speaks co-hosted an ultimate frisbee charity tournament.

“The tournament was to raise awareness of Autism and its effects, all while enjoying a game of ultimate,” Club President Sam Gonzales said. “This is not just a St. Ed’s event,” he continued. “Whether you go to UT, ACC or just live nearby, this tournament was for having fun and learning about this disability.”

Autism is a disorder that effects neural development, causing impaired socialization and communication and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior. Autism appears during the first three years of childhood, and what exactly causes this disorder is still a mystery. Although the exact number of children with autism is not known, the CDC estimates that 1 out of every 88 children will be diagnosed with a form of autism by the time they are three years old.

Autism does not only affect the diagnosed, however. “Like all disabilities, this hits the family the hardest.” Gonzales said. “Our club has seen a disability first hand…and that was a hard pill to swallow. Since then we vowed to give back to the community and make sure the family is an integral part of a person’s life living with Autism, or any disability.”

Autism Speaks was founded by Bob and Suzanne Wright, grandparents of an autistic child. Since its creation in 2005, Autism Speaks has one of the leading autism advocacy and research groups. According to Autism Speaks’ website, the organization’s mission is to fund research for the causes, prevention, treatments and cure for autism; to raise public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families and society; and to bring hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder.

The tournament was held on Dec. 1 on the Teresa recreation field. Teams of seven played, and the cost was $10 a person, equating to $70 a team. According to Gonzalez, proceeds went both to Autism Speaks and to Congressmen Ultimate.

This tournament was completely student-run and student-organized, although coordination with Campus Recreation did help ensure everything ran smoothly, according to Gonzales.

This is the first event the club has put on this year, and their first charity event ever. “Expect another next semester,” Gonzales said.

“[The club plans on] bringing ultimate to high schools and teaching them the ways of the game. The club wants to expand and promote community togetherness, but with its own little flick,” Gonzales said.