Scholars aim to make difference

St. Edward’s University offers many scholarships to its students based on a wide variety of qualifications.  One of the most prestigious scholarships is the Brown Scholarship.

Applicants must be full-time students at St. Edward’s  and must show that they have done significant community service in their time at the school.  They also need to have a 3.0 GPA or higher.  

The Brown Scholarship is defined by its last requirement: the student applying must need the scholarship money for a project that benefits the community and raises awareness for some cause.  The award ranges from $2,000 to $10,000.

Each year, a select few students are given the opportunity to make a difference with their dreams. Though their projects may differ, the underlying theme in all of them is a desire to benefit the community.

Senior Juhi Tariq applied because she wanted a concrete and individualized way to impact the community. Born in Pakistan, Tariq witnessed extreme poverty and corruption that many St. Edward’s students have never seen.

“I have so many ideas, but I never get to act on them or really formulate a plan on how to implement my ideas,” Tariq said.  “The Brown Scholarship seemed perfect for that. I’ll be educating high school students about issues, as well as mobilizing them into a community service project to show them they can help with just a little organization.”

Tomlinson has enough support now to spread the word about her cause. On Nov. 1 in Jones Auditorium, she will hold a panel discussion about who the refugees are, where they’ve come from and what students can do to help.

Senior Samantha Cook received the Brown Scholarship for her production of “Don Quixote: Theatre of the