Transit Theatre Troupe now accepting submissions for New Works Festival

Casting a spotlight on St. Edward’s University’s artists and dilettantes, Transit Theatre Troupe is on the lookout for applicants for its 4th annual New Works Festival. A perfect platform for short student written plays, the New Works Festival, which debuts on Oct. 18, welcomes all members of the St. Edward’s community to join in and produce art.

The New Works Festival functions like a beatific machine: student writers, actors, directors, producers and tech-savvy crew members working together to bring a vision to reality. Students come together to create an amazing show dedicated to the idea of art enriching people’s lives. Moreover, anyone even vaguely interested in the vast world of playwriting and theater has an opportunity to get involved.

“The New Works Festival is a great showcase for student work, not only in the theater, but in other majors as well,” senior Andrew Zimmer, production stage manager, said.

The troupe will implement a centralized theme for all works produced this year. This novel aspect proves the group’s dedication in illuminating the St. Edward’s community as introspective artisans with a global perspective.

“The theme is also the Freshman Studies theme: ‘Looking in, Looking out—and Transformation,'” senior Meredith Montgomery, production director, said. “I like this theme not only because it will unify the pieces in a broad but beautiful way, but because students can receive credit for participating in this event for their Freshman Studies