SEU student competes on ‘Top Model’

America’s Next Top Model met a force to be reckoned with in St. Edward’s University’s own Hannah Jones, a sophomore Photocommunication major from Houston, Texas.

America’s Next Top Model is notorious for its catty girl fights, cunning depiction of model life, and campy catch phrases. On the show, supermodel Tyra Banks immerses aspiring models in her rapidly changing world while exposing them to how physically and emotionally demanding the glamorous career can be.

Hilltop Views reporter Jonathan Coker spoke with Jones about her experience as an ANTM contestant.

Jonathan Coker: Have you always been interested in the fashion industry? If so, what interested you in the first place and have those interests changed prior to the show?

Hannah Jones: Before high school I was more of a tomboy and didn’t really pay attention to fashion. My appeal to fashion started when I transferred to the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Houston sophomore year. Of late, I am very much inspired by high fashion couture as well as street fashion; I love designers such as John Galliano, Alexander McQueen and Betsey Johnson. After the show, I am more confident in my abilities as a model. Most importantly, I became comfortable in heels.

JC: What did you think of Tyra Banks before and after the show?

HJ: I grew up watching ANTM and looking up to Tyra. Meeting her was overwhelming, but she was a very down to earth and welcoming person. There’s nothing worse than meeting someone you’ve looked up to and realizing they aren’t what you thought they were, luckily this was not the case.

JC: What was your biggest fear when entering the competition and did you ever have to face it? If so, how did you handle it?

HJ: My biggest fear is self-doubt. It can corrupt a person’s potential so easily. Growing up, I was very self-conscious. ANTM became an opportunity for self-exploration. Through the competition, I started to understand what it meant to be enough. When I knew I was enough, I was the only one could stop me.

JC: Is there anything you learned at St. Edward’s that helped you as a contestant on ANTM?

HJ: Definitely! I found that my CULF 1320 American Experience class prepared me for Top Model. From the class I was shown the importance of exploring the diverse historical experiences of different social groups. With this knowledge I better understood girls from different regions of the U.S.

JC: If possible, could you tell us any exciting news you have planned for the approaching months? Essentially, what’s next for Hannah Jones?

HJ: I’ve been shooting promos and interviews at the CW studios. It’s so much fun! Hopefully I will be able to catch up with a couple of girls from the show. Within the next year I hope to be a working model represented by agencies in the U.S. as well as Europe and Asia.