Increase of volleyball players leads to more opportunities

This team cohesion has allowed the girls to improve immensely during a quick paced fall season, as they hope to carry over this momentum and excitement into the spring.

Staff Writer

The women’s club volleyball team is on the rise this year.

After garnering attention for their success last season, the girls are now able to field multiple teams with the promotion of their club.

With this expansion, the girls have been able to increase their talent level as well their team dynamics and organization.

“Now that we have two teams, we have had to improve our time management,” player CJ Jones said. “It is a lot of fun having more teammates and I think it pushes each of us to be more competitive.”

In order to help manage their time, the club is split into two teams – blue and gold. Both teams practice together, however, come game time, the girls split into their respective teams.

The presence of two teams also allows for more scheduling opportunities.

The club now is able to travel to out-of-town tournaments, while the opening of the University Federal Credit Union (UFCU) Alumni Gym has allowed them to host more games and potentially a tournament of their own in the near future.

This has led to an increase in competition, as their league promotion, conducted by Club President Samantha Oakes, has given them the opportunity to play bigger schools.

“Sam does a great job of organizing everything for both teams,” player Valeria Gonzalez said. “She has been a great leader for our team.”

As a sophomore, Gonzalez is new to the team this semester, but has enjoyed playing alongside a great group of girls.

“I really like playing on this team because I am getting to play volleyball again with girls who take the sport seriously, but also want to have to fun,” Gonzalez said. “It has been a really great and uplifting environment to play in.”

Also new to the team is sophomore manager Gabrielle Castillo, who is pleased with the club atmosphere and development.

“My favorite part about being on the team is that I have been able to watch the team work together and become one on the court,” Castillo said.

With two teams, new players, and a new league, the women’s club volleyball team has proven they are a club sport to be watched this year on the Hilltop.