Murray finishes in top 10 for NCAA Woman of Year

Murray was flown all the way from New Zealand last month into a banquet in Indianapolis, where 10 women from each of the NCAA’s three divisions were invited.

Staff Writer

St. Edward’s University graduate and former women’s soccer player Rachel Murray was honored this past month as a finalist for the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year Award.

Even though she did not win the award, Murray learned a lot from her experience at the banquet and the other decorated athletes that were invited.

“All the girls were so amazing, outgoing and friendly so it was very easy to build connections and friendships,” Murray said. “We created a Facebook group and almost every week someone has posted about some event or business conference they are going to where they can bring a guest to network, so it is such a great opportunity to explore other interests.”

While this experience has helped her, it was Murray’s selfless commitment to soccer, academics and helping others that earned her the nomination.

Named to the Capital One Academic All-American team three times and the All-Heartland team twice, she led her team to two Elite Eight appearances.

Outside of sports, however, Murray was able to post a 4.0 GPA and assist others through service projects.

“My service has shaped who I am today,” Murray said. “I learned so much through my trips to New Orleans, Uganda and India. I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to engage in those service trips.”

Her resume may be impressive, but the amount of praise that Murray has received from others is what really signifies her value to the university and its athletic program.

“Her perseverance and intrinsic drive to succeed as a person enriched and strengthened those around her in many facets of life,” Athletic Director Debbie Taylor said. “Rachel displayed a consistent desire to reach new heights in each and every endeavor she embarked on allowing her to attack life with an energy and presence matched by few.”

“Rachel is highly coachable and a leader by example,” women’s soccer Head Coach Nick Cowell said. “She is an important member of our soccer family from this point forward.”

The ceremony was a fitting way to end Murray’s career.

“It was just a great way to conclude my soccer career,” Murray said. “They did such an amazing job making each and every one of us feel special and honored.”